Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Weird problem/fix with D3400 IR remote control

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Who

Who

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm trying to use an old android phone as an IR remote/intervalometer on my D3400 since this camera seems to lack any other means of doing timelapse. I noticed that the app would only activate the shutter occasionally but I found something really strange while experimenting to fix the problem. I noticed that if I cover what I believe to be the IR sensor on the camera (black dot on the front of the grip) with my finger, the app activates the shutter perfectly every time and stops working reliably if I uncover the sensor. I decided to stick a piece of black electrical tape over the sensor and the app works perfectly as long as the phone's IR emitter is facing the covered sensor.
I'm totally confused as to why this is working but I decided to post this in case someone else is having problem with the IR remote on the D3400.

EDIT: Figured out the problem. I was trying to use the IR function in the room where I have my HTC Vive setup and the lighthouses for the Vive uses IR as well. I guess when I covered the sensor, it was not able to get the interference from the ligthhouses and was only seeing the brighter phone IR led even through my finger and tape somehow.