Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upgrading from Nikon D5300 to D5600. Is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

davidlogan

davidlogan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello everyone,

I have the Nikon D5300 camera and i loved it but i don't have anything else except the standard 18-55mm lens which is lack a lot of features i need so i decided to sell it and buy a completely new nikon d5600 bundle here with 2 lenses and some useful accessories.

contain the following:

• Nikon D5600 body
  • AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens
  • AFP DX 70-300/4.5-6.3G lens
  • Lens Caps
  • EN-EL14a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
  • MH-24 Quick Charger
  • DK-25 Rubber Eyecup
  • AN-DC3 Camera Strap
  • BF-1B Body Cap
  • Nikon 1 Year Warranty (Camera)
  • Nikon 5 Year Warranty (1 Year International + 4 Year USA Extension)(Lens)
  • Lowepro Camera Case
  • 16GB SDHC Card
  • Cleaning Kit 15. 55mm UV Filter
  • 58mm UV Filter
  • PC Software Package 

I can spend more $500, i want to spend them on a good lens, is there any ideas for lenses for beginners

Thank you

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Why not keep the body you have and get a used 16-85 or 16-80 normal zoom and the AF-P 70-300 VR telezoom instead?

The only real advantage the D5600 has over the D5300 is wifi and possibly the touch screen. The AF-P 18-55 is very similar to the AF-S 18-55 I suppose you have with your current kit. The D5300 supports AF-P lenses if you have the latest firmware.

Most of the accessory list are things that are included with the camera and lenses anyway and it looks like the 70-300 in the kit is the non-VR version, which is harder to hold steady as there is no VR and is optically inferior to the VR version.

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

I'd also recommend keeping your D5300 and buying more lenses. I've found some great deals on used Nikon glass, especially for zooms. I just picked up a 18-70mm for under $100.

What is your area of interest:  portraits, landscape, nature, macro. etc...?

it looks like the 70-300 in the kit is the non-VR version, which is harder to hold steady as there is no VR and is optically inferior to the VR version.

I would challenge that as I have the 70-300mm non-VR lens and it's tack sharp.  :D

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I would challenge that as I have the 70-300mm non-VR lens and it's tack sharp.  :D

It isn't a bad lens, but the VR is even better.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i would keep D5300 and upgrade to D7200 would be better step up and its way better for D5600 for low lights and has motor in body let you us af lenses to auto focus too. 

davidlogan

davidlogan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

I think i will keep the Nikon D5300 and buy the following:

• Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED
  • Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens
  • High-Power 500mm/1000mm f/8 Manual Telephoto Lens 
  • ZOMEI Z818 Tripod Aluminium Alloy Monopod
  • Godox TT350S 2.4G Flash

Thank you for your help.

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

I'd suggest doing a web search for reviews. This is an extremely slow lens with mediocre optics. 

davidlogan

davidlogan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

I'd suggest doing a web search for reviews. This is an extremely slow lens with mediocre optics. 

Thank you for your note. i'm not planning to use it for photography, i'm just curious about exploring far subjects

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

Thank you for your help.

you be better off get tamron or sigma 150-600mm with  teleconverter that goes with brand lens or nikon 200-500mm with 2.0 teleconverter since give you your 1000mm or more but at higher f/stop on 150-600mm or 200-500mm since on crop body. 150-600mm with highest teleconverter will get you over 1200mm 

gomario

gomario

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Furthermore keep in mind, if you are an outdoor man (like me), the D5600 does not have GPS! That means your pictures will not be GPS tagged anymore. If you want that feature it will cost you extra. You'll have to buy an expensive GPS receiver.

I fly as a hobby and I like to take pictures. For me a GPS (and automatic picture tagging) is a must. If you take a picture (any picture), 10+ years from now you'll ask when and where was the pic taken. For some pics you can figure that out but not for all. That can be very frustrating. I talk from 30 years experience (and well over 200.000 pictures saved on my home server). Nowadays, the "when" part is easy but the "where" part is not. This is where the GPS makes a huge difference  :rolleyes:

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Thank you for your help.

This is a Sony mount flash. You want the N version for Nikon if you want to use it on camera.