Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which lens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

brickie58

brickie58

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationwales
Which lens for Nikon d300 the 55 to 300 or the 70 to 300 ?or other makes, sharpness at long end is what I am looking for thanks.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 55-300 is no slouch, but the AF-S 70-300 VR loses even less contrast at the long end. Keep away from the AF-P lenses as the D300 can't use that AF motor since it is many generations more modern than the body. The third-party 70-300 lenses are all from before their makers raised their quality.

What is you intended use for the lens? Are you sure that 300 mm will be enough? There is little, if any, room to crop with the 12 MP sensor.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

There is little, if any, room to crop with the 12 MP sensor.

Very little, if any… indeed!

brickie58

brickie58

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationwales

The 55-300 is no slouch, but the AF-S 70-300 VR loses even less contrast at the long end. Keep away from the AF-P lenses as the D300 can't use that AF motor since it is many generations more modern than the body. The third-party 70-300 lenses are all from before their makers raised their quality.

What is you intended use for the lens? Are you sure that 300 mm will be enough? There is little, if any, room to crop with the 12 MP sensor.

hi merco_61 I intend to use it for flowers  insects butterflys etc stuff that I cannot get close enough too use other lenses, by close I mean within a few metres, if you know what I mean, something which is likely to  jump or fly  away, I have the tokina 12 to 24 ,Nikon 18 to 55, sigma 105 macro,Nikon 55 to 200 just need something a little longer.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I used my 70-300 VR on a crop body for two weeks running in 2018 for my one camera, one lens challenge.

One week, one camera, one lens week ending May 20 2018 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

One week, one camera, one lens week ending May 27 2018 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

The focal length used is in the file name for each photo.

This might give an idea of what the lens can do.

brickie58

brickie58

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationwales

I used my 70-300 VR on a crop body for two weeks running in 2018 for my one camera, one lens challenge.
One week, one camera, one lens week ending May 20 2018 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com
One week, one camera, one lens week ending May 27 2018 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

The focal length used is in the file name for each photo.

This might give an idea of what the lens can do.

thanks again , good range of shots, and good idea to get used to any lens, so which model should I be looking at ? As there seems to be a few different ones I know about the AFP range not working with d300.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

There is only one Nikon 70-300 with VR and AF-S. It was made from 2006 to 2017. The versions without VR are all more like 70-230 lenses as the sharpness and contrast goes down so much at the long end.