Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kit Lenses... When Did They First Appear?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

Just curious when camera companies started making kit lenses. They often get a bad rap--some good, some not.

When I bought my Nikon F2 back in the day, you always purchased a camera body and lens separately. Maybe a store would bundle a 50mm lens with a camera but that was it.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

That was what I was going to say.  Back in the day the "kit", if there was one, was with a 50mm "normal" lens.  I don't believe they were packaged by the manufacturer as a "kit" but many of the retail shops offered their own version of a kit with a 50mm lens and usually some other goodies like a bag, specials on processing, and coupons for extras.  The kits that are out there now I really don't remember until DSLR prices became more consumer friendly and those kits are part of the reason that happened...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,645 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Nikon's first kit lenses probably were the Series E 50 from 1979 and the Series E 36-72 from 1981. They were bundled with the EM. Before that I never saw a large box for both body and lens in one package.

Olympus had a 50/1.8 bundle for the OM series in the same time frame. It was probably part of marketing for the OM-10.

I can't remember any other factory bundles before the digital era.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

That may have been a few years before I worked for a photo shop  I don't remember the kits for either of those cameras (and we sold both) but I am sure that I could have forgotten.  I do remember folks asking why an SLR didn't come with a lens and our having to explain that certain folks preferred one lens over another and some had more than one body...