Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New & newly formatted Compact Flash Card falsely reading full

compact flash full error

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

filosofic

filosofic

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I purchased a used D300 from a friend with a 2 GB SanDisk CompactFlash card.  I purchased a larger new 64 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s UDMA7 card.  Formatted in the camera -- but the camera reads the new card as full.  

So, I pop the card into my computer -- which shows it's not full and properly formatted FAT32.  I read a few forums about this error, and format again on the computer FAT32 -- return to the camera -- still reads it as full.

I try formatting on a Macbook, Chromebook, Windows, FAT32, exFAT, plain old FAT -- same error -- always reads as full.  But when plugged into the computer -- empty.

Is there some glitch with the D300 that it cannot read Compact Flash cards above X GBs?  

I'm able to write and read off the card on a computer without any issues.  The pins are all fine and straight.  I can even write photos from the one old 2GB card to the new 64 GB card using the same internal folder structure AND can then view the photos on the new card in the camera -- but it still reads full.  The playback folder is set correctly and the Active folder is numbered at 100... there we all possible issues suggested on several search results that didn't resolve the issue.

I cannot figure out why it always reads full on the computer when it is clearly not.  The only thing I can figure is that the D300 is unable to use CF cards over a certain size.

Any ideas welcome.  Please share!