Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What lens would you recommend with Nikon D5600 for professional portraits

nikon lenses portrait

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

davidlogan

davidlogan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello everyone,
I have the Nikon D5600 DSLR camera. It's a great camera but the kit lens (18-55mm) is sucks. I'm looking to get professional portraits in the first place. I made my online research and found this 5 Best Nikon D3500 & D3400 Lenses To Try In 2019 | Nikon Bundle guide.

Which lens is the best for portraits with blurry backgrounds:
  1. Nikon 35mm F1.8G Lens
  2. Nikon 50mm F1.8G
  3. Nikon AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

Thank you

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,209 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Definitely not the 10-20 as it is too wide for anything but PJ style environmental portraits. Besides being too short, it has a large smallest aperture that won't let you blur the background.

The 35 and the 50 work well, but for very different types of portraiture. The 35 works for two-person and full body portraits, the 50 for headshots and half-body. If you try to shoot a head or head-and-shoulders portrait with the 35, you will have to go close enough that the perspective looks distorted to get the shot. If you try to get some of the environment in the shot or shoot full body with the 50, you will often run out of room when shooting indoors.

If you go up too close, the nose will look huge and the ears very small as the distance between them is large compared to the focus distance. When you are a reasonable distance away, the perspective looks much more natural.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

If you are looking at just one lens I would suggest a 50 mm för ASP-C bodies.

I have little to no experience with Nikon glass and can't comment on the one you are listing. Before you decide you may want to have a look att what Sigma and Tamron have to offer.

Snorky

Snorky

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

I'm using an 18-70mm lens for portraits. Picked it up used... it's tack sharp and compact.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Of the three lenses you listed, the 50mm would probably give you the best results. On a DX camera it has the same angle of view as a 75mm lens on an FX camera which is just shy of the classic portrait lens focal length (85mm).

I've personally had great results using a Nikkor AFS-85mm f/1.8G on my DX cameras. On DX this lens gives an angle of view that's close to that of a 135mm lens and does a really good job of throwing the background out of focus at any f stop below f/5.6 or so. With the right lighting the results can be magical.

Of course, all of the zoom lenses that reach 100mm or so and up should also give good results. Of these my favorite is the FX Nikkor AFS-70-300VR which, when used on DX, produces very nice portraits with creamy bokeh.

--Ron

davidlogan

davidlogan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

very helpful answers. thank you for the help . I will go with the Nikon 50mm F1.8G 

fallout666

fallout666

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

18-70mm, 50mm, 35mm and 85mm are best portraits lens to look at. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, lenses, portrait