Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Using SB-910 flash off camera with a Nikon D800

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Kerry Burns

Kerry Burns

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I recently purchased a second hand Nikon SB-910 flash for my Nikon D800. I have been trying to use it off camera with the D800 in Commander mode. The SB-910 does flash but it does not change the focal length automatically when I change the focal length of the 28 - 300 mm lens on the D800. I have tried changing a number of the options on the flash, but I can only change the focal length manually and to a maximum of 135 mm. When I mount the flash in the hot shoe of the D800, the flash automatically changes its focal length when I change the focal length of the lens, but will only reach a maximum of 135 mm rather than the 200 mm quoted in the manual. I have contacted Nikon Canada with the issue and all they said was that the flash should respond automatically off camera and reach the 200 mm focal length. I have read the SB-910 manual twice, and it hasn't been of much help. I suspect with all the options available on the flash and camera, there is some setting combination that may be preventing the flash from operating in auto zoom mode remotely. If anyone has experience with this and can suggest a solution, it would be most appreciated.