Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Exif data doesn't match lens...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SimoninBS7

SimoninBS7

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I recently bought a new-to-me D3200, which has kick-started an interest in using a DX digital slr. In the meantime I've been using a lovely little Ricoh as my pocket camera. It's the GX100, which has a wide-angle zoom lens, ranging from 24-72mm equivalent. I've been very pleased with the images I've got from the Ricoh and so the first lens I bought to go with the D3200 was the Nikkor DX 12-24mm AFS, which turned up the other day, in lovely condition. I took some images inside my flat to get a feel for the field of view and how it felt on the camera - nice :-) But imagine my surprise when I took a look at the exif data for the first few images and saw that the lens is described as, "Lens Model: Tokina AT-X 124 AF PRO DX II (AF 12-24mm f/4)"

Can anyone tell me what's happening here?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What software do you use to read the EXIF?

The 12-24 was co-developed with Tokina and might use the same hex values to identify, but with a second group to identify the maker.

SimoninBS7

SimoninBS7

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Merco,

the reference to Tokina shows up in both Apple's Photos version 4 (cmd+i) and Apple's Preview version 10.1 (cmd+i).  It's not a big deal - obviously, the lens is the Nikon model, and not the Tokina, but I'm interested to find out how it was mis-identified by the software.  A case of mistranslation, I guess.

Another thing that's slightly puzzling is that the lens doesn't have an obvious serial number showing anywhere - my other Nikkor lenses have a serial number close to the country of origin - in this case, Japan, but this lens doesn't have a serial number that I can see.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I've notice with Adobe Lightroom that, if you're shooting jpeg, the application will sometimes/often misidentify your lens. This usually shows up in the lens correction panel/ profile corrections tab. That's probably because profile corrections require RAW file information. I'm not sure if Apple software has the same limitations. 

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You could install the Nikon software and check if ViewNX-i or Capture NX-D does a better job identifying your lens. Preview and Photos probably use the same module for identifying lenses.

I don't remember where the serial number is located on the 12-24.

SimoninBS7

SimoninBS7

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks, folks - it's a lovely lens, not-with-standing its exif data!  ;-)