Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

smudges like dried water spots on images

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Mike from NS

Mike from NS

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Greetings from Nova Scotia

Being the new guy ... please have patience with my question.  New to digital SLR cameras.  My starting point is an older D40x acquired through an eBay purchase.  Ahhh ... your first mistake I hear many of you say.  However it seems to be in good shape .... But the images with the sky or snowy hills have some small out of focus circles and in one spot partial arc-like smudge.  All the marks are always in the same place on any image.  Could these be an indicator of a sensor screen in need of cleaning or maybe a greater problem.  If this picture loaded correctly you can see the arc like smudge to the left above the branch and some of the circles to the right side

Please offer your educated comments.  Thanks

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0308.JPG

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That is certainly a sensor in need of a cleaning. The first stage is to get a rocket blower, make sure the camera battery is charged, set the camera in cleaning mode and blow with the blower on the sensor. Do not try to use canned air as the high airflow can damage shutter blades. If the blower isn't enough, get a wet cleaning kit or get it professionally cleaned.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

To any wet strategy, I waaaay prefer the Eyelead approach
but for the rest, Peter is right.

Where are you in NS?

Mike from NS

Mike from NS

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks Peter for your reply.  Glad to hear that a cleaning most likely will fix the problem.  This beats my in-experienced fear that the sensor is "cooked".

And thanks to you as well Nikonian.  I will look into the "Eyelead approach".  I'm very near Halifax in Nova Scotia.

I will sleep easier tonight knowing that there is a likely remedy for the smudges.  As stated, the camera comes from an eBay purchase and seems to be in good shape as a gently used camera possibly should be.  My main reason for the purchase was to use in conjunction with a Celestron 8 telescope.  Since the demise of film I have backed off astrophotography and now I am looking to rekindle that interest.  Not sure if this camera suits this goal or not ... but time will tell.

Both of your replies are much appreciated. 

Mike

Mike from NS

Mike from NS

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

opps ... getting used to the forum .... I see "Nikonian" is designation of experience with the forum.  And I realize both of you are "nikonian".  So that means Peter and Nikon Shooter were the reply"ees".  So thanks Nikon Shooter. 

Mike