Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5 vs D4s

nikon d4 nikon d5

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Chavr

Chavr

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStrasbourg

anyone shoot both the d4s and d5?? what do you think about nikon d4 vs d5 is the d5 worth the $2k difference(used d4s vs new d5)?? I am using D750s and wondering if the D5 is going to make that big of a difference to me. I shoot events, weddings and portraits. tia

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Personally, I'd choose the D850 rather than either the D4 or D5. For less money, you get a camera that will probably be better suited to the type of photography you do. My second choice would probably be a Z7 mirrorless. In particular, I believe the D850 is a favorite of many wedding photographers.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I would much rather go for a D850 and use a separate sound recorder or a smartphone for voice annotations.

The D4 and D5 are geared for fast-paced shooting in a press setting with the voice memo the only real advantage over a gripped D850 with NiMh or EN-EL18 for events and weddings. At base ISO, the D5 won't leave you much, if any, latitude in exposure to give full detail in both dress and morning coat when shooting bride and groom.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree with Ron and Peter.  The D850 would be my choice based on your intended use.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The single-digits have not been the all-encompassing flagship cameras since the D3s/D3x pair. The D4 and D5 are specialized tools for sports and journalism. For studio, weddings and events, the D850 is a better tool and for BIF and other wildlife situations, the D500 is better suited as the in-camera crop gives more reach for a given focal length.

The D4 and later have sacrificed some DR and S/N ratio at low ISO to get better results in really low light. This makes them less allround as pro cameras, but much better for a sports shooter or PJ. The direct D3x replacement is the d800E and its descendants.

The downsampling possible from the D850 sensor for prints raises the DR significantly compared to your existing D750 and makes that upgrade worthwile for a wedding shooter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d4, nikon d5