Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Samyang

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia

I can share experiences using the 85mm on a Pentax APS-C DSLR. I have to say that for me 1.4 was very usable...by 1.8 or at max 2.0 the lens is as sharp as my current Nikkor 85mm 1.8G. I don't have any samples @1.4 at hand, but can show a sample at F2.0

First is a whole pic and then a 100% crop:

IMGP4156.jpg

100% crop

100crop.jpg

I have to say that I don't see how you can get sharper than that. I paid 170€ for mine (used) and never looked back.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Very nice.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical (EOS) - APS-C format Review / Lab Test

This review of the lens is on a Canon, but it would probably be similar for the Nikon version.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks. I've googled most reviews on the Samyang. Value for money it's definitely up there.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I never shoot larger than f2, so the Nikon 85 1.8 is fine for me. Not too expensive, auofocus, and sharper than the Samyang.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

I want to get out this weekend and do some more shooting with it and see what I can come up with.

Here is a photo I took with it for TADS NSW. I was doing some Charity work to get some experience shooting. :)

DSC_4735.JPG

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I'm still saving for the Rokinon 85mm. 

Another couple of weeks, right around Christmas, I will order it. 

I'm really looking forward to using it. I like the idea of using an old fashioned manual lens again. I actually miss that. 

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

DSC_4732.JPG

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

That's a great portrait. What is TADS? 

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Well it's been driving me crazy for a couple of weeks straight now, so I pulled the trigger and ordered it through Amazon. 

:D

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Congrats Alden... I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

Well since  you asked. :) One of my friends works for them. They occaisionally need photos for the newsletter etc. So I offered to help out whenever I can. :)

http://www.tadnsw.org.au/

Who's TAD?

TAD Disability Services is the only charity in NSW which designs and builds personalised custom equipment to enable people with disabilities to lead more independent lives.

Our team of skilled volunteers and staff therapists can assist in all aspects of everyday living, including equipment to assist the development of young children, tools and devices for education, work, recreation, daily living and personal care, and equipment to assist older people retain mobility and independence. In some cases we may also modify a commercially available item to suit individual needs.

Even though many of our solutions appear relatively simple, they make a world of difference to our clients.

The previous photos were of the client... This one is of one of the items they built...

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

For some reason the photo I uploaded is not appearing in the post above so I'll try and repost it again.

DSC_4776.JPG

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

That's a great organization. We have some orgs here that do the same kinds of things. 

My daughter has Down Syndrome. The Grottos/Shriners paid for her to have new stainless steel molars put in (under general anesthetic) when she was 5 years old.

It would have cost us something like $2,000 if we would have had to pay for it ourselves. 

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't do much, but hopefully every little bit helps!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I already mentioned this to alden, but a couple of the Bower versions of these lenses are on sale in the US right now. (Did we already mention that Bower/Samyang/Rokinon are the same company under different names?)

8mm fisheye:

http://www.amazon.co...87426457&sr=1-1

14mm fisheye:

http://www.amazon.co...87426457&sr=1-6

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

The Samyang series of primes is very well thought of by the video industry. 

The Samyangs are very sharp, some say too sharp.

The only complaint I have heard is several persons wish all the lenses were the same diameter, i.e., can use the same ND filters, etc.

There is now a specific series with toothed rings for focus pulling.

Please read the thread at the link below.  WHile the thread is about Red Cinema cameras and the subject lenses, almost all the comments are applicable to still photography.

http://www.reduser.n...Cine-SOOO-SHARP

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
Well it looks like this is the one I will end up getting, based on the good reviews, the low price, and the fact that as a portrait lens manual focus and metering is not a deterrent.

I would like to add, if the lens is a tiny bit soft wide open (f/1.4) for a portrait lens this is not a negative. Many portrait photographers prefer to soften the focus just a bit anyway to erase lines in the face. If you want to capture all the lines and blemishes, stop it down a bit and you will have that too.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Well it looks like this is the one I will end up getting, based on the good reviews, the low price, and the fact that as a portrait lens manual focus and metering is not a deterrent.

I would like to add, if the lens is a tiny bit soft wide open (f/1.4) for a portrait lens this is not a negative. Many portrait photographers prefer to soften the focus just a bit anyway to erase lines in the face. If you want to capture all the lines and blemishes, stop it down a bit and you will have that too.

There are two Nikon versions.  One has automatic exposure and it's not much more.  Look for the version that says AE.