Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D90 sensor issue with kit lens?

d90 kit lens connectivity sensor frozen shutter

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Virwill7

Virwill7

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, everyone. Not exactly a NEW post since my camera's old and the issue probably is as well. I bought a D90 kit a few years ago - my first DSLR. I knew the 18-105mm kit lens wouldn't be super sharp but that it could be fun to have an AF zoom and besides, I planned to use my old Nikkor lenses more often. So yesterday, shooting a hummingbird in the backyard with the kit lens, I'd gotten a few images when the shutter froze. ERR code on the control panel. It released after a few more attempts but locked right back up; the image was half-exposed on the top side. Removed the lens and reattached, and also turned off/on, and it froze again. The chatters I found in a different forum said they'd been told it was a.) dirty sensors on the lens and camera, b.) a stuck lens sensor or c.) a bad connection stemming from the plastic base giving way a bit. One suggestion was to jiggle the lens in place (!). Tried it anyway and didn't work but that's hardly a long-term fix. Cleaning was no help; the sensor buttons seemed to spring right back. It's way out of warranty. (I switched the lens out for an old Nikkor 24mm and it worked fine. So it's not a mirror problem.) I'm sort of assuming it's a lens mount issue and thinking about just ditching the old lens and upgrading to a steel-mount all-glass replacement like the 18-200mm f/3.5 VR II. Should I hold off and first send it to a Nikon Service Center? Thoughts? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d90, kit lens, connectivity, sensor, frozen shutter