Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Customisations

custom

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Sanfairyanne

Sanfairyanne

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Recently I was shooting a beautiful landscape with my D810 on manual while on a tripod. Shutter speed was relatively slow, iso 64, aperture probably f5.6. Suddenly a hawk flies into the frame. The light is changing fast on my landscape and so I’m struggling; do I continue to shoot the landscape or do I try to shoot the bird and then blend the bird into the image in post.

Obviously I’ll need to move from my current landscape settings. I decided to do this. I went from Manual to Aperture priority. Then from mirror lock up to CH (continuous something or other), then to iso 800. I flip to aperture f11 and gamble my manual focussing setting.
With my wired remote i sit there watching the light change while waiting for the hawk to fly back. My camera doesn’t move, nor does my focal length, so at 60mm I have a small chance that the hawk flies into my composition, thankfully it does and I get the shot. But what a major hassle.
Ideally I’d like to have a custom control button like on my Canon 5d2. Is this at all possible in any way?
It seems to me that the custom controls of the Nikon D810 do not allow this. Perhaps this is possible with the Z6/7? I’m thinking of buying one so perhaps this could help sway me to the newer camera. Or alternatively does anyone know how to do this with the D810?

Many thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom