Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Auto-Focus IS Auto Dead on My Nikon D200.

auto focus dead nikon d200

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Today I was working with my Nikon D200 indoors attempting to put together some work with products.  Everything was 

proceeding very well until suddenly, the Auto-Focus began sputtering (working inconsistently) and finally died.  I did every-

thing I could think of i,e, installing a fully charged OEM Nikon Battery and it did not resurrect the Auto-Focus.  It does 

function quite well in Manual Focus, but I decided to see if my other D200 would work fine and it did.  The camera with the 

failed Auto-Focus now has approximately 98,000 shutter actuations, so it comes as no surprise that something in time would

fail.  Again, it still works very well in Manual Focus so I have no intentions of letting it go.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this sort of event with their gear.  Thanks so much for reading.

Tony

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

To follow up on my last post.  I got back into the D200 that I believed the auto-focus had failed and discovered that in fact it is still functioning.  Here is what

transpired.

After much experimentation I realized that the problem was that I did not have an OEM NIkon battery in the camera, but a Wasabi battery that was fully 

charged.  I noticed that once I attempted to auto-focus on a subject that was in a low light area, the auto-focus would not activate upon pressing down on the

shutter release even though the battery power indicator clearly displayed a full charge.  I then made sure to replace the Wasabi with a genuine OEM 

Nikon that was fully charged and then attempted to auto-focus on the same subject in low light and the auto-focus functioned flawlessly.  Interesting set of 

circumstances and a true testament to the quality of the Nikon OEM batteries.  Okay, a few minutes ago I tried the D200 again and the auto-focus is functioning just great.

Thanks for viewing.  Tony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: auto, focus, dead, nikon, d200