Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Odd problem with NX-i and Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm pretty much still a beginner with my D5600 that I got around 8 months ago.  In the past, I've used Windows 7, a compact Nikon camera L610, and an old Nikon program to edit ... Nikon View, I think.

I've recently upgraded to a new laptop with Windows 10, and just downloaded NX-i and Capture.  I've not done much with Capture or raw conversions yet, but I just edited some JPEG shots with NX-i, and am running into a weird problem.

When I save my changes to the new image that I rename, so it's alongside the original in the folder, and then view the images in my normal Windows viewer, it does not show the changes.  The original and edited versions are the same.  If I try to pull the image up in Windows Paint program, same thing.  If I pull it back up in NX-i, the changes are there and saved, but no where else.  I've tried saving it both ways, with the 2 icons in the lower right corner, and still the same issue.

I'm still new to Windows 10 too, so maybe there's something I don't have enabled.  Also, NX-i seems to add some oddly labeled new folders to my existing folder that I'm not sure about.  I haven't read the full 400 pg. manual yet, and maybe that's the problem.  Tech Support is closed today so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone is familiar with this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It might just be saving the recipe in a sidecar file and you need to export a copy for the changes to show in other software. I don't know if that is the case as my computers are Microsoft-free.

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

The files have a dot nksc, in the folder created by the NX-i program, but there is still the new JPEG image saved in my original folder, the way my old system did it.  I thought a JPEG was a JPEG.  I don't know why Windows isn't showing the changes.  Will probably have to try Tech Support tomorrow.

I do know one thing - I liked Windows 7 much better than 10.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

If you want a good viewer, try Faststone Imageviewer. Have never liked the programs bundled with Windows.

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the suggestions folks.  I think I figured it out.  I thought I'd update in case anyone ever has this issue and finds this thread.  Merco, you were onto it with your comment.  And thanks Benigan, I'm going to try that Faststone viewer.

The Nikon Tech guy that I got on the phone was really no help.  He only suggested uninstalling NXi and Capture, and re-installing, and knew nothing about the sidecar file.  I did that, as still had the same issue.

So I started googling my problem and ran onto the manual page about converting files.  It seems I have to run it through the "convert" process instead of just "saving", which I thought was only for Raw files.  My old View2 software just saved the changes when you saved and/or renamed the edited image.  Apparently NXi just saves changes in the "sidecar" file, in case you want to process further in Capture, then you have to run through the convert process, to truly save it all.  I don't really like it because the manual says because of re-compression, you can lose some quality.  Doesn't sound optimal.  I set the slider to 100% for best quality, but not sure how well I'm going to like it.

I'm sure I'll get used to the new Nikon programs, but overall I'm disappointed with the new Dell Windows 10 laptop.  It's supposed to be a step higher than my old Windows 7 laptop from about 8 years ago,  but the display on the older one looked better.  This new one seems to put a greenish dull tint to my photos, like a cheap LED flashlight.  I may even exchange it.  My pics looked way better on the old one, with ancient Nikon software.

Questions:  Is that how you all save JPEG files in NX-i, through the "convert" button?  Are you losing much?  Is there a better way around it?  Sorry for the "beginner" questions.

Zener

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The idea is to do all you want to do before the export, so you only save once with the lossy compression. I don't use ViewNX, so I am not familiar with whether CaptureNX-D reads the sidecar or not. If it does, you only have one lossy stage unless you export before you start editing in Capture. To get around the recompression, you can export to .tif and edit from that if you use other software that doesn't use the sidecar information.

1. My workflow starts with ingestion in Photo Mechanic to a temporary "landing" folder, where I add keywords and other IPTC information and do the selections for editing and culling.
  2. The files I want to edit go a folder named with the shooting date with a copy on the manual backup drive.
  3. I then open that folder in Capture NX-D and do the edits.
  4. When the editing stage is finished, I export to .tif in the same folder as the original file.
  5. Back in Photo Mechanic, I decide if here is additional processing needed in other software before I export copies with the resolution and file formats needed for publishing or delivery to customer in a folder named for the job.
  6. I then move the rest of the files to the same folders as in step 2.
  7. When that is done, I run the normal, incremental backup to a NAS in another physical location.

This convoluted workflow is a leftover from when I still shot professionally and needed to be able to find all files I had on a subject quickly and have backups of everything. It still makes life easier as I am so used to the system.

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks Merco.  That is helpful.  I still have to re-install Capture, after uninstalling.  I'll experiment with it after that.  NX-i seems to do pretty well, compared to the old View NX software I was using.   I'm hoping that NX-i and Capture together will be enough for my novice needs, and I'm sure they will.  I do intend on experimenting with RAW images and the Capture software.