Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3500 / NIKON AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

JT's D3500

JT's D3500

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag
My Kit:
Nikon D3500
AF-P Nikkor DX 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 G Zoom
AF-S Nikkor DX 18-140 1:3.5-5.6 G Zoom

Sooooo, I'm already thinking that I might want a little something more to 'reach out and touch something' when I'm taking pictures.

Any thoughts about the NIKON AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f4.5-6.3G AUTO FOCUS ED ZOOM LENS? I'm seeing a lot of these used, or open box, on eBay. Any cautions when buying a used lens?

Looks like 'G', like my other lenses; no aperture ring. Looks like no VR.

I'm guessing if I can afford it, the Nikon 70-300mm VR AFP f/4.5-6.3 DX ED would be the way to go?

Thanks for any thoughts!

John

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

I recently upgraded to a D5600 kit which came with an 18-55mm AF-P VR and a non-VR 70-300mm DX ED lens. I would prefer the VR series for both, but was very impressed how "tack sharp" the images are, even hand held.

Both lenses are extremely light and plasticy though--not what I expected.  :wacko:

Anyway, with my first test of the 70-300mm, I went to a local park by a river and photographed geese, ducks and... amazingly enough, a blue heron. I shot everything in RAW+JPEG and developed/edited the RAW files. Stunning. I highly recommend this zoom for the price.

Watch out for eBay though as it's possible to end up with up with gray market lenses. It's legal, but in most cases, Nikon will not honor any warranty of gray market equipment.

JT's D3500

JT's D3500

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

@Snorky - had read that some of these lenses had plastic bodies. Guess that's what you get when you don't pay $800 for a lens? <grin>

Watched a photographer's YouTube video about shooting with a 70-300 lens toward the 300mm end of things, with and without tripod. The gist of it - if you have VR, you can probably get away with shooting without a tripod.

Ted's Electronics on the Bay has a brand new Nikon 70-300mm VR AFP f/4.5-6.3 DX ED, with some accessories for $187.98. Very up front about it being 'Grey Market':

Every item purchased through TEDS Electronics has a 1 yr. warranty covering manufacturer defect starting date of purchase which can be upgraded to a 3 yr. Mack warranty at a min. fee.

This item may be grey market, but since it has a warranty it does not necessarily matter…. 

There are also Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR Lens - Refurbished by Nikon and sold by Adorama; 90 factory warranty and 1-year protection plan from SquareTrade - $14.99. That might be the way to go.

John