Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which long lens for a D700?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

nono

nono

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Country Flag
For the moment this is just me thinking out loud, not sure I'll ever get anything.

Say I wanted to do some wildlife photography with my D700. At the moment I use a Sigma 170-500 on my Pentax K-1; I would want something better. I also don't want to spend "too much" (to be defined) on a lens, so this rules out, say, the 500 f/5.6 or 400 f/2.8 or anything in the price range of a small car. What are the options? Sigma or Tamron 150-600? Anything worth looking into, anything that can safely be ignored? I'm not familiar with the Nikon lens line-up at all.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The Sigma Sport or the Tamron G2 are the top of the heap if you need 600 mm, if 500 is enough, the Nikon 200-500 is about equal to the other 2 and balances better for handheld shooting if you don't use the MB-D10. Stay away from the Tamron G1 if you can as both Sigmas and Tamrons often need multi-point AF calibration to work as well as possible over the whole zoom range and the G1 doesn't support tap-in.

The Sigma C has a slower AF and isn't as well built and weather-sealed as the S, but it is significantly cheaper.

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
Check out the Sigma Contemporary Telephoto Zoom Lens 100mm-400mm - F/5.0-6.3 for 640$ brand new and drama free
You should be fine with this one

masterdrago

masterdrago

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

I was shocked at how sharp my Sigma 150-500 is on both my D700 and my 2 DX formats. Shocked what a $1k lens could do.

nono

nono

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Country Flag
Is the 150-500 well-suited to birds in flight? My 170-500 may give stunning results if conditions are right, but anything small and fast is definitely "not right".

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i would go sigma not sport 150-600mm or sigma sport 60-600mm or nikon 200-500mm or tamron gen 2 150-600mm do not get gen 1 tamron 150-600mm do to fact only works in MF aka manual mode. also no updates or upgrades for it. 

nono

nono

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Country Flag
I bought a used Tokina 80-400 a few days ago, it's not in my hands yet. Probably not what I'm looking for, but it was too cheap to ignore. I'll keep you posted.

nono

nono

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Country Flag
I got the Tokina yesterday evening, I have not been able to really test it yet but the autofocus is so slow the lens will probably be even worse than the 170-500. Maybe useful in some situations, but definitely not for wildlife.

Danno1602

Danno1602

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

I use a Nikon 200 - 500 f5.6 with mine. It is very quick to focus. However it is heavy.

nono

nono

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Country Flag
Still thinking about this, how about a 300mm f/4 with a 1.4x TC? Any chance to get good results? I see older versions of the 300mm f/4 AF can be bought used for quite cheap.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Might be OK if you are shooting in bright sunlight...I have Nikon's 200-400 f4 and have used it with my 1.4TC on very bright days.  When it comes to long reach there really isn't a cheap way to go...you pretty much get what you pay for (IMO)...

I decided to edit this...I am not suggesting you can't get good shots with the 300 and 1.4TC.  But I am suggesting that you will get better results and more opportunities for results if you go for better gear.

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

When it comes to long reach there really isn't a cheap way to go...you pretty much get what you pay for (IMO)...

This.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The old versions of the 300/4 don't play nice with a TC. They tend to get much worse CA unless stopped down a bit.

If you think you can handle the mass, a Sigma 150-600 Sports has fast AF with distance limiters and is very sharp and contrasty. It isn't a cheap lens, but they can often be found lightly used without breaking the bank.

nono

nono

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Country Flag

When it comes to long reach there really isn't a cheap way to go...you pretty much get what you pay for (IMO)...

Yeah, I know. I'm still trying to get an idea of all the realistic options and their pros and cons.