Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

About to replace lenses

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

PWPhotoSC

PWPhotoSC

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Helpo folks. I'm new on this forum and would like some help. I am looking to start replacing older lenses with new ones. I recently purchased a D850 after shooting with my D800 for over 7 years. I think my lenses will be a slight shortfall in some ways going to my D850. I have 2, maybe 3 lenses I am going to replace. My Tokina ATX Pro 16-28mm f2.8 and Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 ED VRII. Both lenses are at least 5 years old.

For the Tokina 16-28mm, the 3 choices I have narrowed to are:

Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 ED,
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 DG HSM Art
Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 Di VC USD G2.

For the 70-300, my 4 replacement choices are:

Nikon 70-200mm f4G ED VR
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8E FL ED VR
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 DG OS HSM Sport
Tamron 70-200m f2.8 Di VC USD G2

I also have a Nikon 24-120mm f4 ED VR that I use and have great results from. I'm not sure if I want to replace it, but if I did, my choices are:

Nikon 24-70mm f2.8E ED VR
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 DG OS HSM Art
Tamron 24-79mm f2.8 Di VC USD G2

I know there is a lot of experience here on this forum with these lenses. I want to make the best decision for my replacements without spending any more than what is warranted. Thanks for your help and advise.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

I would suggest Tamron all the way, possible with one exception. Sigma 14-24 is a fantastic lens. The drawbacks: It lacks image stabilization and is a beast to carry around.

If your'e looking for value for money, Tamron 24-70 G2 and 70-200 G2 (and perhaps 15-30 G2) would be your choise.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall
I got a Nikon D850 a couple of months back, to replace my old D610 and also did the lens swap thing...

Above all, I wanted speed - in terms of the ability to track focus, sometimes in low light, so I replaced my old zoom with the AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 E FL ED VR. I have to say that the lens is superb, I was expecting it to be good but it’s better than I expected it to be. I can highly recommend it.

Having said that, the lens I replaced was the AF-P 70-300 f4.5-5.6 E ED VR - the newer version of one of the lenses you have. For a short period of time, I had that lens on the D850 and it was easily good enough to be there. Given its price and it’s size/weight it’s a brilliant, and I think much underrated lens. If I could have afforded to keep it, I would have done. The Pulse motor focussing drive is utterly silent and very, very quick. If you don’t need the sheer speed of an f2.8 lens it is well worth considering.

I can’t comment on the others, I only have one other lens and that’s the AF-S 50/1.8G - which, for the record, is perfectly decent but probably the least inspiring lens of any 50mm I’ve owned. It will probably be replaced by either a 35/1.4 or a 58/1.4 at some point.