Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hello from me

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Astro Baby

Astro Baby

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Hi,

I don't do much 'web' stuff anymore but thought I would join just to gab about old film Nikons.  I am an old ex-pro / semi pro photographer.  I kind of retired in the early days of digital. Just hated digital really and had grown tired of being a pro.

For a fair few years I just never bothered to own a camera at all apart from a happy snappy digital.

About a year or so back I was browsing a charity shopped lo and behold there was an unloved Pentax KX lurking in there and I got a kind of buzz so I handed over some shekels and took it home, gave it some love and attention.  It sparked off a small collection and more importantly a desire to get shooting again with film.

Back in the day I mostly shot various Nikons but my real love was the 'F' - I sold my pair back at the dawn of digital and have bitterly regretted it ever since.  Anyway long story short on a recent trip to Japan I managed to find myself a beautiful F with FTn head and 50mm f1.4 All in running condition at a good price so bagged her up and bought her home to be company to my Nikon F-301. Lots of Nikon fans hate the 301 but I always loved mine as my walkabout point and shoot back in the day.  The Fs and F2s were mostly used for the pro work while the 301 was my 'with me at all times'.

Anyway thats enough about me - looking forward to reading posts and hopefully being able to contribute.

Mel

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Welcome to the forums. You'll discover that, for the most part, we're a pretty laid back group. Not too much excitement here so the glitter usually stays bottled up.

Also, many of us graduated from, or still use, film cameras. Yeah, we're that old. For my own part, I've used and owned Nikons and Minoltas going back to the SR-T 202. I'm all digital now except for my venerable N90s which sees occasional use and the aforementioned SR-T which is still going after 49 years. I never owned either an F or an F2 because, at the time, they were just too rich for my wallet.

--Ron

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

Welcome to the forums. You'll discover that, for the most part, we're a pretty laid back group. Not too much excitement here so the glitter usually stays bottled up.

Well, maybe just a little glitter.

189982.gif

I still have my F2 from the ancient film days. She's a beauty but just sits around anymore in favor of my digital gear now.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall
Got rid of all my film stuff (in Nikon terms, that was FM2n, FE2, F4 and F5) and I don’t miss any of them! :D
They were lovely in themselves, especially the F5, but I definitely don’t miss film.

I had a D610 for several years, loved it but have recently upgraded to a D850 which is a miraculous bit of kit - go on, try one and tell me it’s not!

I always wanted an F2 Titan but it’d be wasted standing on a shelf and anyway, I can’t afford one. Back in the day, a mate of mine had one of those F301s - you’re right, it was a bloody good camera.

Welcome, by the way...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!

I have had F photomic, F2AS and F4E in pairs as workman's tools back in the day, but went digital with the Kodak DSC 760.

My walkaround body in the same timeframe as your F301 (N2000 in the US) was an EM as that could live in a fanny pack with ai'd 35/2 O-Nikkor, 50/1.4 S•C-Nikkor and either 105/2.5 P•C-Nikkor or 24/2.8 N•C-Nikkor lenses and some film. I never understood the dislike for the F301 as it was a nice, capable camera, even if it is larger than the EM.

I still have an F4E and an FE2 for when I want to shoot film, but they see little use these days.

Astro Baby

Astro Baby

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon
Ah I dont do digital. I did as a pro in the early days but found little enjoyment in it. These days I find real enjoyment in shooting film. Heck at some point I may go to using plate cameras.