Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What lens replaced the Nikon AF-S 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 ED VR?

lens lens reviews upgrading new models

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Danielnoriega

Danielnoriega

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone,

I have read and heard extremely positive comments on the Nikon 16-85mm but I know it is an outdated model. I have the option of buying this lens for AUD $999 new (about USD $700) or second hand for about $400 USD.

Before buying it, I thought I asked if anyone know what lens replaced this model in matters of sharpness, clarity and overall quality. Is there a new equivalent lens, even if it doesn't have exactly the same range? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

And if you recommend to stick with the 16-85mm would you pay the difference for a new one or go for the second hand with one year warranty?

Thanks and happy days,

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 16-80 is better optimized for the current sensors. The 16-85 can be a bit mushy on a 20-24 MP sensor.

What body will you be using it on? If you have a body without AF finetuning, buying new makes sense as you can have a front- or backfocusing lens calibrated under warranty.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lens, lens reviews, upgrading, new models