Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My First Camera was . ..

camera first nikon canon d610

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

A Polaroid. (10 years old).

Then a Kodak Instamatic. (12 years old).

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I first started using a Kodak Brownie camera that my Dad had. He and my uncle used to into the toilet and put a red jumper over the light and develop/print photos.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,521 posts
  • Country Flag
A Kodak Instamatic, when I was 10 years old. Still have it lying arround here, even so not used for decades.

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

Here's a bump for us newer folks.

Mine was a Kodak Instamatic. The first one I bought myself was a Pentax K-1000 in 77-78. Just before our first child was born. It is still here and on occasion still used.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Country Flag

Kodak Brownie Super-27, then a Kodak Instamatic 150. 

First 35mm camera was the Minolta Hi-Matic 9, mowed lawns for the entire Summer of 1969 to buy it- $80. a lot of money for an 11 year old. I still have it.

First Nikon was the Nikkormat FT-2, 1979. Still have it.

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Pentax MX 

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
Minolta 370

esrandall

esrandall

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSumner, WA

I feel weird posting on a thread this old, but here's to hoping that others will join too :)

My first camera outside of some Kodak easy share model (don't even remember the model) was a Pentax K-50.  I'm new to photography, and had always just used my phone.  The K-50 was a great little beast, served me well.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,514 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

what was the first camera you ever received?!  

When I was a child I used to toy with my father's Kodak camera that had rails and a bellows.  Then he went to a Kodak Brownie and from there an Instamatic which he gave to me.  One day my dad came home from work and had a Rollei TLR.  Man o' man did I ever fall in love with it.  It was so nice looking I had a lot of trepidation in handling it for fear of dropping it.  My dad and I took a trip from Boston down to New Haven, Ct., to visit his side of the family.  On our return trip, I remember looking around the front seat and the rear seat and floor.  He asked me what I was looking for, and I replied, Dad, where is your camera?  Well, by this time we were 75% of the way home.  When we got home my father called his relatives and of course, nobody knew what happened to it.  They actually stole from their own relative.

My first 35mm SLR was a Canon Ftb with the 50mm FD 1.8 Lens.  After a year, the meter went out and I did not want to pay for repairs.  Very good picture taker.

Thanks for reading.

Tony

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,514 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Kodak Brownie Super-27, then a Kodak Instamatic 150. 

First 35mm camera was the Minolta Hi-Matic 9, mowed lawns for the entire Summer of 1969 to buy it- $80. a lot of money for an 11 year old. I still have it.

First Nikon was the Nikkormat FT-2, 1979. Still have it.

I have to mention that the Minolta Hi-Matic 9 was quite the camera, and still is.  That lens, even fixed focus was and is still a very good lens.  Compact, lightweight, rugged and took wonderful photographs.

Thanks for reading,

Tony

Mark

Mark

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Nikon FE.

Mark

Mark

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGreenville, SC

...then a Leica IIIf, M4-P, R4SP, R5, Bronica SQA, Hasselblad 500CM, Calumet 4X5, Minolta XG-5, Minolta XD-11, Canon AE-1, Mamiya 645s, Mamiya C-220 and C-330, Praktica BCA, Rolleicord, and the coop de grass; a Rolleiflex.  I also had one of those grey Rolleiflx 127s.  When I went digital, I started with a couple of those cheaper Kodaks (with the Schneider lenses) and finally a Canon T2i.  Now; happy to say, I'm back to Nikon!  D2x and F4S.  Never looking back.

hatman

hatman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm not sure how old I was, maybe 10 or 11, but the first camera I received was a Polaroid Swinger. It only took B&W photos and they weren't all that great image wise but as a kid I thought it was a lot of fun. My first 'serious' camera was a Canon Canonet GIII QL17 with Canolite D flash. It was a fairly good flash system as the flash coupled with the focus distance. The camera also had a very sharp 40mm f1.7 lens. It was a good camera and remained working perfectly up until a few years ago when the shutter failed.

My first Nikon was an EM. I never did like the accompanying flash so when the FG came out with it's TTL OTF flash exposure I bought one along with a SB19.

Somewhere in about that time I also had a Canon A1 with 28, 50, and 200 mm lenses but I preferred the Nikons. My first AF body was the Nikon F80 and first DSLR the D70. There were others sprinkled in here and there but the above were some of my favorites. 

George in Georgia

George in Georgia

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

It was my dad's Argus, made in 1957. I loved shooting Kodachrome 64 with that camera. 

argusc44_zps6c1150b9.jpg

A handsome camera and a good lens, unlike that on the Argus C-3. It looks like it has interchangeable lenses??

My first "real" camera was a Retina I, bought used, I assure you!  I still have it and it still works, but sadly there is a fingerprint etched into the lens.  Mea culpa!   :o That was followed by many others, many of which I still have.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The C-44 is a C-4, but with interchangeable lens if you are lucky... They were renowned for sticking if you tried to change lenses in a hurry.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Excluding the ones my parents owned (various brownies, instamatics, etc.) the first one I owned was an instamatic of some sort, soon replaced by an Exa 2 35mm SLR. After that I added a Lubitel 120 TLR, a succession of Exas and Exaktas, some sort of Standard 8 cine camera, one of the cheap white Polaroids, and other odds and ends, eventually a Canon AE1 and a Canon F1 - the latter had their lovely rotating action finder, which made it perfect for things like photomicroscopy and macro work - you could use it at eye level for normal work, or turn it round and use it like a waist level finder.. In the nineties I started playing with digital, and eventually went over to Nikon since Canon had annoyed me by making their new cameras completely incompatible with older lenses. I've been using a D50 ever since, usually with a bridge camera of some sort as my second camera.

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

I used my parents Kodak cameras as a kid.  The first one I actually owned was a Kodak Instamatic.  My first SLR was a Yashica TL Super that I bought shortly after joining the Navy.  Eventually went to a Canon A1 and then to Nikon F3s.  Been using Nikons ever since, along side Leica RFs to keep things interesting.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I used my parents' Kodak Instamatic 100, occasionally, as a kid and in about 1965 I was given a little plastic camera which, I seem to recall, took 35mm film. Unfortunately I left it on the back window shelf of the car whilst on holiday and it melted! As an armourer in the army, in the late 70s, my job included inspection and minor repairs to instruments - including cameras. We had Nikon FMs and I usually managed to have one 'in for repair". The first camera I actually bought was an Olympus XA - a real classic compact. My first SLR was another Olympus - an OM4Ti.

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

When I was a kid I had a profitable paper route. I made $10-15 a week for toiling seven days a  week. I wanted to buy a "serious" camera like "The Brick" but my parents said no.  To expensive, they said (the spectre of the Great Depression lingered....) They gave me a Brownie Reflex box camera borrowed from an uncle. Not the same. When I was 21 I was a Copy Boy for a major metro newspaper and I won a Rolleiflex Automat in a raffle for a dollar. Just the right thing for a guy who wanted to be a news photographer in 1956. I was off and running. In he early 1960s I bought a Nikon  F (what else in those days?). I've had a Leica 3F and M2R. In the 1960s and 1970s I used a Rolleiflex and a Yashicamat because at that time newspaper and magazines in places like Germany, Australia and Japan preferred120-size color slides.

Professionally I've used the F and the Nikkormat, the N2000, N50, N70, and the digital D50. I still have the (beat up) Nikon F that I photographed the Ali-Bonavena title fight in Madison  Square Garden, the Beatles and Elvis.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camera, first, nikon, canon, d610