Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My First Camera was . ..

camera first nikon canon d610

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Travie_Melvin

Travie_Melvin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Country Flag

what was the first camera you ever received?!  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

My first own camera was a Rolleiflex Automat II, perhaps better known as the K4B, made in early 1944 with a tessar 75/3.5 taking lens. I got that from my father on my 8th birthday in 1977 with a Gossen sixtomat meter and some rolls of Tri-X 120 film. He had got it newly overhauled from a newspaper when they sold off their TLR cameras. My parents had taught me the basics on their Kodak Retinette and Retina S cameras before that.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

First SLR was a Canon T50. I had a few small compacts and polaroid cameras prior to that.

fishwm

fishwm

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWisconsin

My first "real" camera was the Nikon N2000;  I believe it was Nikon's first auto advance SLR, not totally positive.  I learned alot on this camera and it is still operational today.   

Travie_Melvin

Travie_Melvin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Country Flag

My first own camera was a Rolleiflex Automat II, perhaps better known as the K4B, made in early 1944 with a tessar 75/3.5 taking lens. I got that from my father on my 8th birthday in 1977 with a Gossen sixtomat meter and some rolls of Tri-X 120 film. He had got it newly overhauled from a newspaper when they sold off their TLR cameras. My parents had taught me the basics on their Kodak Retinette and Retina S cameras before that.

Aaah! wow!  I enjoyed reading that.

Clearly Limited

Clearly Limited

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthwest Kansas

I started out with a Argus Brick in school, then got a hand me down camera set of Konica TC and a T4, Used those until I went to digital with Nikon.

Serge

Serge

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaidstone

My 1st one was Russian Smena 8M, then Zenit ET, XP, Praktica MTL3. I also had Welta Reflekta II and some others :) 1st digital was Sony DSC-S70.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

My first SLR was a Zenit E - very basic...bought it on my first trip to France...The first camera I bought was one of the "higher end" Pocket cameras...Not sure what my first camera was, but I think it took 120 film...Dad wouldn't let me play with his Leika gear...

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

It was my dad's Argus, made in 1957. I loved shooting Kodachrome 64 with that camera. 

argusc44_zps6c1150b9.jpg

Travie_Melvin

Travie_Melvin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Country Flag

It was my dad's Argus, made in 1957. I loved shooting Kodachrome 64 with that camera. 

argusc44_zps6c1150b9.jpg

Oh, It is beautiful.  

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Oh, It is beautiful.  

I wish I still had it. I'm looking for one on Ebay now. 

B Grace

B Grace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag

Argus 110 Pocket camera in 1978 with a plastic fixed focus lens and available dark photography using the new-at-the-time flip-bar flash cubes.  I still use it every few years or so.  It's difficult to find 110 film these days but not impossible.

oldchas

oldchas

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

My first camera was my Dad's Argus brick.  I saw the pictures and felt a little lump in my throat.  I still have it.  All of my childhood pictures were taken with that old thing.  Dad won it in a poker game on the boat back from Europe in 1945. 

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I never realized how widespread Argus cameras were.

UntamedSpirit

UntamedSpirit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It was a 110 camera that came out of a Kellogs box. :D

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
First camera used would have been my dads' Kodak instamatic, followed by borrowing my brothers' Kodak ekta 110.

First that I owned was a Praktica MTL5, the very one I threw out a few weeks ago.

Favourite was the Lubitel 166b - £13 brand new, stunning quality and it taught me so much.

BobW

BobW

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTN

My first camera was an Argus C3

My first REAL camera was a Minolta 8000i, and still have it, probably worth about $50 now. Guess I'll just let it keep collecting dust.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

I never realized how widespread Argus cameras were.

They were very popular back then. I wonder what happened to that company?

This is interesting. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have only seen Argus cameras in collector's hands here, the widespread quality family cameras in Sweden in the 50's and 60's seem to have been Kodak Retina and Retinette, Agfa Isola and Isolette, diverse Voigtländers and the Zeiss 6x6 folders. My mother used a Retinette and a Contax II and my father had a Retina and a Pen F as I grew up.

/Peter

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

My first camera was a Kodak but I'm not sure what model. I also had an instamatic at some point while my dad had an early Polaroid Land Camera which was something special. 

My first 35mm camera was an Argus but the camera that taught me the most about photography was a Minolta SRT 202. 

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camera, first, nikon, canon, d610