Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dirt on sensor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

wedgtail

wedgtail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdealaide

Has any one cleaned their sensor . what did you use . Its for a D600

I was thinking of using this product http://www.ebay.com....5dbfb4f9&_uhb=1

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I used Digital survival Kit. Very good results. And here is the link to the similar theme.

Changing Lenses - Beginner Questions - NikonForums.com

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

I've doneit a few times - Visible Dust brand swabs I think, can't remember what liquid I used.

All went well, just don't be tempted to put too much liquid on the swab.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

Well Russ how long have you had your camera for? how often do you use it? and lastly do you do much work in dirty, dusty and windy environments   where your changing your lens a lot. If no your not using it in dirty places or what not I wouldn't bother with a Kit especially one with the liquid you don't want to leave streak marks on the sensor.

I personally when I feel like the camera is showing the signs of dirt and the image quality is poor because of that (which is once every couple of years) I just take it to my Camera store, it took me a while to find a good one but Im glad I did, and whilst they clean it the also just check for any other tell tail signs that something isn't right.

Personally, leave the swabs out of it, just enjoy your camera take good care of it and it will treat you well and not require that much Maintenance/servicing.

Thanks.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

About 3 years, done it about 3 times. No generally not dusty dirty environs, but I change lenses a lot.

Buying the kit once was the same a pro clean, plus I can still do many more!

It's easy to do really.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

You DIYers are braver than me when it comes to cleaning sensors. I'm with DanielJamesVersace above--to the camera store for me. I should learn how though. I keep hearing from other photographers that it's not that difficult.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

yea it defiantly isn't hard, my brother does his, way to much, But he still does it.

I just dont really see the point every couple of years the store services the camera and cleans the Sensor.

stuguy

stuguy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAmmanford,Wales,UK..

Ive just done mine last week for the 1st time as i had quite a few spots showing up on my pics,

was a bit nervous about doing it myself but went ahead wasent that hard to do,

do a dry clean 1st to remove any loose dust do not use the swab more than once (one swab across the sensor then back then disregard swap do not reuse more than once repeat if necessary until the sensor is clean do not apply to much preasure

One clean sensor now :-)

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

It's just inconvenient to go to the store for me, and they don't do it there and then.

stuguy

stuguy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAmmanford,Wales,UK..

It's just inconvenient to go to the store for me, and they don't do it there and then.

Yeh and its the cost £50 at my nearest shop.

cost my £10 for 10 swabs and liquid. used 4 to get the sensor back like new :-)

Total cost £4.00  :)

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

hey thats fine, my guys normally just do it when I take the camera in for a service for nothing, but I've been able to build up a good relationship with them.

I know its not hard to do, but I've never had an issue with my sensor, some people do tho :)

wedgtail

wedgtail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdealaide

hey thats fine, my guys normally just do it when I take the camera in for a service for nothing, but I've been able to build up a good relationship with them.

I know its not hard to do, but I've never had an issue with my sensor, some people do tho :)

Who do you use in Adelaide