Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D600 Mirror locks up

d600 mirror lock up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I was shooting today and had taken several hundred photos. I had been changing lenses as well as using a teleconverter. In the middle of shooting all of a sudden my mirror locks up. It releases I when I press the shutter again, but any time I shoot it locks up. Any suggestions on what I should do?

I will pop into Nikon tomorrow but I thought there may be something I am able to do.

Thanks

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

A couple of possible user errors could be you've set a long (bulb? Time?) shutter, or put it in MUP mode. Is the camera telling you anything? You could try a reset, but other than the 2 green button job I don't know how it's done on your camera.

Chris

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
yeah I get ERR on the screen. Thought it might be the contacts to the lens but no luck.
Thanks greenwing

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
Apparently something was in the camera that damaged the shutter. No idea what either. They say it wasn't the lens and nothing was in the camera. I did have it cleaned only a couple of weeks ago.

Here is a photo of the damage...

DamagedShutter.jpg

DamagedGears.JPG

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

What sort of lens were you using? Have you used it before?

If its a nikon branded lens check the d600 lens compatibility as i know there are certain lenses that will damage the shutter, for example invasive fisheye lenses and i think non ai lenses? i might be wrong on the non AI

Even if the lens does fit if it has external rear focusing where the lens protrudes into the camera body it could be your problem?

Other than that i can only suggest mechanical failure or some sort in the body to cause this damage.

Obviously the mirror can lock up in either bulb mode, Mirror lock up Mode, Remote Mode or during manual cleaning mode, and check the battery life could be a problem somewhere with voltage or amperage of the battery could be up the creek aswell

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag

Ouch. Looks like the shutter's closed on something that was in the camera. Not covered by warranty, presumably? I'd be having a serious chat with whoever did the cleaning, for starters.

Chris

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
I was using a lens I had used many many times before. I do have a new teleconverter I had been using recently but was not using it when the problem occurred. Yeah I thought it may have been related to the cleaning as no other foreign objects had been near the camera. But Nikon denied that was possible. I'm just going to have to wear it. I just hope it gets repaired before the weekend as I need it. Otherwise I may have to go out and hire a camera and if I do that I'll try the D800 and that is even riskier for me ;)

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Ouch! Ye I'm with greenwing...find out exactly what the guy who cleaned it did.

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

definitely find out if it was a error in the cleaning process last thing you wanna do is go rent a camera (if you had to) and then find out thats damaged aswell lol

would like to know what the cause is when you find out

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
Well I queried whether it could've been due to the cleaning but they denied it. (understandably as they'd be responsible for the repair). I'm just waiting to find out just how much it's going to cost me. Not Happy Jan!
Oh yeah I did ask if they could let me know what they think caused it and they just say something got stuck on the shutter. I'm hoping I get a better answer after the repair.

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag

Assuming that Nikon cleaned it, and that it was in for cleaning because of the (unacknowledged) D600 shutter muck fault, maybe they should have been replacing the shutter anyway? Might just be an avenue to explore. I think the damage looks more like the shutter making contact with something when the shutter was moving than something making contact with the stationary shutter. Do you have a consumer protection body over there? Maybe they could get interested.

Chris

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
It's been a week without my camera and I'm getting edgy. I almost went out and bought a D3100 just to have something I could shoot with (that I could stick my lenses on). Thankfully my friend who works at the store I was going to had the day off.

The problem would be that I don't have whatever it was that caused the problem. The repairer said they didn't either. So it would be just my opinion versus theirs and I doubt Id have any case. Would be nice though. Also saying that, I don't want to get into a fight with Nikon if I'm going to be using their gear for years to come. I'm just going to have to wear it on the chin.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
Picked up my camera, so glad to have it back. I queried whether something could've been dropped during the clean and they denied it was possible at all. There was nothing in the camera so no evidence of what caused it. Oh well, at least I have it back.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Glad you have it back, but the whole situation is sad.  I can't really believe that nothing happened to it during the cleaning.