Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need lens recommendation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Gbarnes90

Gbarnes90

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello, I recently bought the d5600 2 lens bundle. It included the 18-55 kit lens and also a 70-200 lens. I don’t do any specific style of photos. I was at a track meet today and was frustrated with having to change my lenses multiple times for different photos since it was raining hard. Is it better to keep it this way and just deal with it? Or is it better to buy a lens that has a larger range? Something like an 18-135 or an 18-300? Just curious if there is a downside to purchasing one like that. Thank you.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

The super-zooms (18-300) do not normally provide the same image quality as the shorter range zooms (70-200).  

Hopefully you had something to keep the camera and lenses dry if it was raining hard and that you had a dry space to change lenses.  

It has been awhile since I shot track, but you could probably get away with shooting with your longer lens for most of the events which would reduce the number of changes if planned out, but......One reason many folks shoot action with 2 or more bodies is to avoid that problem.  And most shooting sports with a single camera will shoot almost exclusively with their longer lens...

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

I wrote this same reply to someone earlier- I have a Tamron 16-300 lens for my D5600 and while I love the lens as a all in one solution for travel photos I would never recommend this lens to anyone who wants sharp photos.  It's soft on the low and high ends of the range and in low light it will sometimes hunt for focus.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

If I may toss in my two cents here.  I do have and truly enjoy using the Nikon AF Nikkor 55~200mm VR, IF, DX, ED, SWM, 1:4~5.6 G Lens.  I am not at the 

skill set level as most folks here, but this lens does certainly earn its keep.  It is sharp all the way through and the range is quite useful, therefore convenient 

in just about any condition.  I even like it for portrait and landscape work.  Mine is an older release, however it is certainly made of a quality build and very 

light weight. 

Thanks for reading.

TT

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

Gbarnes90 i have few question that need to be ask. you said track. is that auto racing or horse racing or running event. also how close to the track will you be. also will there be any fence in the way. to me 70-200mm makes great lens for upper lower end to middle end. also on your camera body be 115 to 300mm on 70-200mm or if really close action next you have 24-70mm or dx version of holy trinity lens. also by getting 24-70mm or 70-200mm get third party and get better quality photo from them too. reason for third party save cash. or if can afford get nikon version which are not cheap