Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My Nikon D90 releases half shutter, how do I fix it?

d90 nikond90 shutter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

hhimanshu

hhimanshu

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello there,

I have a Nikon D90 camera with DX lens. It started to give some trouble when taking pictures.

When I set a focus and press the button to take it, it makes a single sound, but does not take a picture. When I press it again, then it completes taking the picture, but the picture that is takes is half black.

I have uploaded the pictures at https://imgur.com/a/emnIifa

I took it to a Camera shop(Nikon authorized shop) and they told me that the shutter is tilted and cannot be fixed. The Camera is gone and cannot be used further. They started giving me options to buy D3500 and D5600 telling me that they are on sale.

I have also uploaded the image of my camera shutter https://imgur.com/a/emnIifa

Can someone please confirm if there are no hopes of getting my camera shutter fixed? 

What are my options?

Thank you very much

P.S. I have also attached all the images in this post

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4500.jpg
  • IMG_4501.jpg
  • IMG_4502.jpg
  • IMG_4503.jpg
  • IMG_4504.jpg
  • IMG_4505.jpg
  • IMG_4506.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That shutter is shot and a D90 is old enough that it isn't worth fixing, even if the parts were available.

If I were you, I would look for a used D7100 or a D7200 rather than a D3xxx or D5xxx body as the D7xxx is the descendant of the D90. The current D7500 is even more similar to the D90 as the pro features the D7000 inherited from the D300s have been removed to differentiate it more from the D500. It is *a bit* more expensive, though.

The D3xxx and D5xxx are much more menu-driven than the D7xxx and have a much darker viewfinder.

hhimanshu

hhimanshu

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello @Merco_61

Thanks a lot for your response

I am not too sure about the term "shutter is shot", what does this mean? and in what situations this might happen?

Thanks a ton for your detailed response, I appreciate it

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

When a shutter blade bows as can be seen in your photos, something catastrophic has happened to it. It is a dead part that needs replacing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d90, nikond90, shutter