Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Simplest Editing Program

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Groundhog34

Groundhog34

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlabama

What is the simplest adequate editing program for a beginner-intermediate amatuer. I tried Photoshop but it was way too advanced for my small mind. I shoot in raw and just wish to touch up some things on occasion.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

First of all, do you need a raw converter where you can tweak things or do you need a pixel editor where you can work on small details?

If you want a raw converter that can mimic the in-camera development very close, you might try Nikon's own Capture NX-D. It is a free download here.

Lightroom is easy to learn, so is Photoshop elements if you want to use Adobe software. If you bought a subscription to try out PS, LR is included in the same monthly fee.

Almost any software is easier to learn than PS. You might like Capture One, DxO, Affinity or Photo Ninja. Whichever is easiest is a very individual thing as that depends on how your brain works and processes the user interface of the software.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

There are specific terms to designate these softwares.

One is "editor or pixel editor" such a Ps and Affinity Photo

(that I use).

Another is a "converter or RAW converter" such as Lr or
Capture One (that I use).

Some software will try to bridge the two functions but none
successfully. Ps needs ACR as Affinity Photo doesn't need
any sidekick but it can process only one file at the time and
only for the purpose of converting it — the RAW tweaks are
note saved.

…and I never use the catalogue but the session workflow.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

Hi there, it can be daunting looking at these PP programs for the first time,first thing i would say is dont concern yourself with all the things they can do,just look at each edit you want to make then you will find knowledge builds over time.

One free but limited program is

IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide

Sorry this is the one i should have linked to

http://www.faststone...iewerDetail.htm

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Let's see if I can add something to the above.

There are a lot of tools available. The ones that are capable of sofisticated editing obviously are harder to learn. The simpler ones will sometimes have limitations even for simple editing.

The combination that (at least until now) have worked best for me is Lightroom for catalogue, development and RAW conversion followed by Photoshop Elements for final editing.

Some of the free software are capable of more than initially obvious.

I use Faststone Image Viewer as my basic viewer, but the program can be used booth as a RAW converter and as a simple editor.

It is not uncommon that you can download and evaluate programs that will cost you money.

I realize that you are looking for one or two suggestions, but maybe you can benefit from having a look at the following link: https://www.reddit.c..._tools_in_2018/. The list is long, but programs are grouped according to functionality.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

What is the simplest adequate editing program for a beginner-intermediate amatuer. I tried Photoshop but it was way too advanced for my small mind. I shoot in raw and just wish to touch up some things on occasion.

Hi, it depends, to a degree, on what platform you’re using. I’ve tried quite a few, over the years, on Mac and nowadays pretty much exclusively on my iPad. If you’re using a Mac/PC desktop or laptop and Photoshop is too much (and it is for the vast majority of us) maybe try Photoshop Elements? It’s more approachable and will lead you gently into Photoshop should you ever decide you want more.

Currently, on my iPad, most of my editing can be done in Snapseed although I do use Affinity Photo - which is good if not particularly intuitive.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

For my two cents where you are getting started, I began with FastStones Image Viewer and still use it almost exclusively today.  It is cost free and can be downloaded quite easily.  FastStonesImageviewer.com.  It is a big program and offers a wide variety of features.  Give it a shot as there is nothing to lose should you decide it is not for you, then simply Uninstall it and you are home free.  Hope this helps.

Tony

dswan

dswan

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

You didn't mention Mac or PC, but if you're using an Apple gadget, Photos comes pre-installed.  There are lots of other photo editing programs that plug into Photos, so you can expand your software as needed.

jennkaotic

jennkaotic

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
For touch up I would recommend Lightroom. My 70+ mother needed something to edit her product photos for Etsy. She knows nothing about Photography and I gave her 1 hour of training and an old copy of the desktop version. She is able to use it to manage and edit her photos.

Nice thing about Lightroom is it both manages your files and allows for limitless editing. Nothing you do in the photo is "baked" in until you export it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanCombs

RyanCombs

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag
I would recommend you photoshop anyway, there are a lot of cool tutorials and good luck!