Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help - what next?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

zoll22

zoll22

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi all,

My wife enjoys digital photography but neither of us have too much of a clue about what kit to get. She started off with the Nikon D5100 and standard 8-55mm VR Lens kit and has since accumulated:

Macro: Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM

Long range: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens

Wide angle: Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM

Her main uses are family/portrait shots and landscapes. Recently she's been complaining that the standard kit lens images aren't as sharp. Although we're not sure if this is 'as sharp as they used to be' or 'as sharp as the newer lenses'.

So we're looking at getting either a new mid range lens to go on the existing camera or a new body and lens. Any thoughts / suggestion much appreciated.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi,

While the D5100 is a good camera, more recent cameras might offer some advantages.

However I would first start upgrading the lens - and based on what you describe, go for a Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 or the FX equivalent i.e. the 24-120/4 (but only if you have long term plans to go some day full frame)

If you think that she also wants an upgrade on the camera side, the D7200 would likely be a good choice.

Possibly you can get the D7200 with the 16-80/2.8-4 in a bundle.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

got options not sure on your budget but go with D7200 body since around 700 brand new or d500 if can afford if want new body. but to me get better glass like 70-200mm F/2.8 and you see huge difference.