Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

File size / image quality and Using the Wireless Mobile Utility (WMU)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

JohnP

JohnP

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Here's the puzzle, I have a D 7200 and I generally like to take pictures and then transport them to an iPad Pro using the WMU. From time to time I'll send a photo to a friend and they will say the image in low res or grainy when using their nice big monitor. It almost seems as though the WMU compresses the file and the photo file size seems very small.

I'm trying to figure out what part of the process might be reducing the file size when I'm losing res.

Could it be my shooting option?
Is it that the WMU is not designed to transfer the full file size, and should not be used for high quality photos?
Might it be that Apple's Photo app (not exactly iPhoto) has a hidden feature to reduce the file size no matter what I do to override it?
Another interesting factor appears when I try to email a photo using the mail app. In some cases it gives me a dialog where I can choose the file size. But in other cases the dialogue box never pops up. See examples below. The file sizes seem small and in some cases Mail doesn't even allow me to change a file size (maybe its small enough already?)

I guess skipping right to my final question...if you are shooting and want to save off professional high res quality images, is WMU the wrong tool for this?
Or maybe I need to select a different option on my D7200 to force photos saved at the highest resolution possible?

Thanks for any and all responses and suggestions

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5439.PNG
  • IMG_5440.PNG

JohnP

JohnP

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
It seems the Wireless Mobil App (WMU) can compress file size during the transfer but hard to find any documentation or facts on this.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

It seems the Wireless Mobil App (WMU) can compress file size during the transfer but hard to find any documentation or facts on this.

I used to use the WMU but have found that if you upload multiple files it does cut the size of MB's down by quite a bit.   If you just do one file you get the option to download the file in it's full size.

My solution was to go out to Best Buy or Apple and get the card reader for the iPad.   It is about $30 dollars.   It will transfer all in full size and it it way faster than the cable or using the WMU app.  I just take the reader out and put in the card reader. 

Apple Card Reader

Reddwarf4ever

Reddwarf4ever

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello
I had / have Exactly the same problem, I assumed using the Nikon app would transfer images at FULL quality
The APP really should have a warning about this or an option to transfer at Full size / Quality, I spent ages communicating with Nikon before I finally realised what the problem was.

I now transfer my images using a card reader direct to my PC.....as a matter of interest, photos I took with the flash turned OFF and transferred using the APP were at full size, ones were the flash was turned on were less than a MB and 1040x xxx quality......

Also found that google drive reduces image quality substantially, I now ZIP the photo folder before sharing on google drive, images stay as was, just can’t view them and have to download the entire ZIP file

Trying FLICKR, meant to retain image quality when images downloaded, not tested yet.

Take care