Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tiny little guide ring missing from my lens

lens

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

WackfordSqueers

WackfordSqueers

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Need some help with this one.

First of all the easiest way to explain my problem is to watch this video. The guy is repairing a lens like mine with a problem like mine. The only difference is when he opens the lens he finds a tiny stiff but flexible plastic ring that has popped off one of the helical guides that facilitates the auto focus. Having one of these missing from the guide virtually stops it focussing and creates a wobble. Take a look:

https://www.youtube....h?v=FF3w81Nl39o

My problem is that having followed the video instructions, I find that two of my guide pins have lost their small plastic rings, but only one of them lay loose in the lens chamber.

I replaced the fiddly little ring on one of the guides which lessened the wobble and gave me some movement to the AF. I have no idea where the missing second ring is, perhaps it is in the lens somewhere?

I have so far failed miserably with Nikon Tech Support and subsequently Nikon Spares Dept although both departments believe the other to be the answer to my problem?

So there it is, I need to buy the smallest, the cheapest and possibly the most elusive part of a Nikon lens.

Help with this guys would be great and better than paying for a repair based on a tenth of a penny spare part that I can fit easily if I could get one.

Cheers

Wackford

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii
Did you try taking the one you found to your local hardware store and see if you could match it with something they have in stock?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lens