Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D3100 Problem

nikon d3100 nikon d3100 lens

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

hajnrih

hajnrih

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm new here and pretty much have no experience in photography. But I have fiddled in digital cameras and electronics a few years back and now I need your help on an issue. My wife has a Nikon D3100 camera which is her pride and joy and a few days ago it stopped working. So now I'm under the gun to get it fixed and there will be no piece in the house until I do. So the matter at hand.

The camera has the following issue/s. First off the display doesn't turn on at all. When I see through the viewfinder I can see OK and when I take a picture it seems to be OK. But the pictures aren't recorded on the card so something is wrong.

When I first turn it on I can see through the view finder an ERR blinking along with a sign for the flash on the right end. At first I thought it was something about the flash, but when I turn it off and take a picture I can still see the ERR blinking. 

One thing to note is that when I turn on the camera I can hear a clicking like inside the lens for 2-3 seconds, but nothing seems to be moving. The same clicking sound appears when I turn it off. 

I tried cleaning the lens contacts with alcohol, didn't help so that's pretty much all. 

Now my question is, if the lens doesn't work will the display work or be off like in my case? If I can narrow down the problem to the lens I can try to fix them or just buy a new set. 

Sorry for the long post and any help on this matter is appreciated. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d3100, nikon d3100 lens