Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5300 or D7100

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Site Supporter

If you don't mind a little tongue-in-cheek review of why you should get D7100:

You might have just sold me on the 7100.....

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I have a Tamron 28-80 zoom connected to a Tamron 2X teleconverter. It's like an 80-240mm on a DX sensor. I'm going to try the 1.3x crop mode and see what kind of quality it produces. 

At the far end that would be 480mm. 

With my Tamron f/5.6 400mm it would turn it into the equivalent of an 800mm. 

You might have just sold me on the 7100.....

There you go. You won't be sorry. 

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

The only downside to the D5300 is that it's so new, there is no feedback on quality issues that may arise. You're sort of the guinea pig if you're one of the first. I haven't heard of any consistent issues with the D5200, so hopefully the D5300 follows suit.

There have been some focusing issues (particularly left focus) that have been reported by some users with the D7100.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a Tamron 28-80 zoom connected to a Tamron 2X teleconverter. It's like an 80-240mm on a DX sensor. I'm going to try the 1.3x crop mode and see what kind of quality it produces. 

OK, the 1.3x crop does not reduce the size of the usable area of the sensor that much. I just did a test with it. It cuts out around the outer 20% so the image is only enlarged a bit, not doubled in size. 

It gives you a little more reach, not a lot more. 

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

It gives you a little more reach, not a lot more. 

The major reason to use the 1.3x Crop is that it entirely fills the viewing area with the AF points. EXCELLENT for birds, sports, cars, pets, kids... anything that moves is being evaluated.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

There you go. You won't be sorry. 

I wouldn't advise using the 2X TC with either of these lenses.  Does your camera autofocus with the 2X and 400 combo?  It sounds like you are a prime candidate for the new 150-600mm Tamron.  I am anxiously awaiting the reviews on that one. 

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

I wouldn't advise using the 2X TC with either of these lenses. Does your camera autofocus with the 2X and 400 combo? It sounds like you are a prime candidate for the new 150-600mm Tamron. I am anxiously awaiting the reviews on that one.

Yes, it does, but very slowly. I am stuck with this setup for now as it is all I have, but I will be in the market for a new telephoto zoom lens in the next few months.

kbtimages

kbtimages

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustralia

In what way do you like the 7100 better?

Advantages of the Nikon D7100 report-icon-orange.pngReport a correction weather-sealed.gif   Weather sealed Yes vs No
help_14.gif
Sealed to shoot in the rain     battery-life.gif   Significantly longer battery life 950 shots vs 600 shots
help_14.gif
Around 60% more shots per battery charge     lcd_resolution.gif   Higher resolution screen 1,229k dots vs 1,037k dots
help_14.gif
Around 20% higher resolution screen     optical_viewfinder.gif   Larger viewfinder 0.61x vs 0.54x
help_14.gif
More than 30% larger viewfinder     cross-type-focus-points.gif   More cross-type focus points 15 vs 9
help_14.gif
Grab focus in difficult situations     optical_viewfinder.gif   Significantly better viewfinder coverage 100% vs 95%
help_14.gif
Around 10% better viewfinder coverage     focus-points.gif   More focus points 51 vs 39
help_14.gif
Set focus accurately within the frame     memory_type_b.gif   Has more storage slots 2 vs 1
help_14.gif
More slots allows storing more images without switching memory cards     optical_viewfinder.gif   Has a pentaprism viewfinder Pentaprism vs Pentamirror
help_14.gif
Pentaprism viewfinders are typically brighter     generic_badge.gif   Has a built-in focus motor Yes vs No
help_14.gif
Autofocuses with all autofocus lenses     fps.gif   Shoots faster 6 fps vs 5 fps
help_14.gif
20% faster continuous shooting     fast_shutter.gif   Much faster max shutter speed 1/8000s vs 1/4000s

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Advantages of the Nikon D7100 report-icon-orange.pngReport a correction weather-sealed.gif   Weather sealed Yes vs No

help_14.gif
Sealed to shoot in the rain     battery-life.gif   Significantly longer battery life 950 shots vs 600 shots
help_14.gif
Around 60% more shots per battery charge     lcd_resolution.gif   Higher resolution screen 1,229k dots vs 1,037k dots
help_14.gif
Around 20% higher resolution screen     optical_viewfinder.gif   Larger viewfinder 0.61x vs 0.54x
help_14.gif
More than 30% larger viewfinder     cross-type-focus-points.gif   More cross-type focus points 15 vs 9
help_14.gif
Grab focus in difficult situations     optical_viewfinder.gif   Significantly better viewfinder coverage 100% vs 95%
help_14.gif
Around 10% better viewfinder coverage     focus-points.gif   More focus points 51 vs 39
help_14.gif
Set focus accurately within the frame     memory_type_b.gif   Has more storage slots 2 vs 1
help_14.gif
More slots allows storing more images without switching memory cards     optical_viewfinder.gif   Has a pentaprism viewfinder Pentaprism vs Pentamirror
help_14.gif
Pentaprism viewfinders are typically brighter     generic_badge.gif   Has a built-in focus motor Yes vs No
help_14.gif
Autofocuses with all autofocus lenses     fps.gif   Shoots faster 6 fps vs 5 fps
help_14.gif
20% faster continuous shooting     fast_shutter.gif   Much faster max shutter speed 1/8000s vs 1/4000s

:o  :blink:  Another vote for the 7100....

Paladin

Paladin

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

BonOlgirl, are you feeling that "yes vs no" confusion beginning to twist at your senses once again.

Afterall, you had your mind almost set on the D5300, and now all these D7100 shooters are turning you around, along with me!

My decision to get the D7100 lasted for around 2 months of reading all types of reviews on each camera that fell within the same area of quality plus usage value, and finally I found that I could not go past the D7100. For the price there is no better as far as I am concerned.

I see this camera as being the final step before entering the realm of full-frame. The D7100 is so very excellent, that I will never trade it when I do eventually go to full-frame, which will be a few years away yet.

You will not be dissappointed with the D7100 :)

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It's been a while since I commented on this thread. In the meantime, I have been permanently laid off my graphic design/photographer position of 13 years with window and door company, and have started my own freelance business in graphic design and photography.

With circumstances as they are, I have decided to go with the entry level full-frame, the D610.

After purchasing my computer system, I'm left with about half of what I need to get the 610, so I will have to make do with the 3000 until I can get the rest saved up for that 610....that is....of course, if I don't win one in our contest.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

It's been a while since I commented on this thread. In the meantime, I have been permanently laid off my graphic design/photographer position of 13 years with window and door company, and have started my own freelance business in graphic design and photography.

With circumstances as they are, I have decided to go with the entry level full-frame, the D610.

After purchasing my computer system, I'm left with about half of what I need to get the 610, so I will have to make do with the 3000 until I can get the rest saved up for that 610....that is....of course, if I don't win one in our contest.

Good luck with your new venture, I hope it all work out for you. 

Hopefully you'll get lots of new business and you'll be able to get you 610 soon

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks Rob!  :D

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Good Luck with the new business BonOlgirl!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I too am sorry to hear about your layoff, BonOlgirl. Good luck with your future endeavors, whatever they may be. 

D5300

D5300

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

I am also stuck on the same question

I got the 5300 because it was in my price range. I wanted a camera I could learn on that I could afford. If I was really knowledgeable about photography and wanted to make some money at it, I would have gone with the 7100 or higher. There's a lot to learn to be good enough to say you know it all. For now I just wanted a good camera that I can fun with while learning.

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I got the 5300 because it was in my price range. I wanted a camera I could learn on that I could afford. If I was really knowledgeable about photography and wanted to make some money at it, I would have gone with the 7100 or higher. There's a lot to learn to be good enough to say you know it all. For now I just wanted a good camera that I can fun with while learning.

If there's one thing I can say I have learned for sure, it is that I will never know it all. There is always something else to learn. I started with the D3000 and I have learned more than I thought I ever would. I hope to upgrade soon to the full-frame D610 and I expect to be introduced into a whole other world of photography...

dubiousone

dubiousone

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationArizona Territory

All I wanted was a DSLR; something better than the Canon Powershot I was using or my android camera. The Canon A-1 I still have from 'the old days' hadn't been out of the closet in a while...(Who still uses film?,,,HAH!!!) I bought the D50 because it didn't have all the whiz-bang-bells-and-whistles, the controls were set up just the way I like them, even the viewfinder and it was priced oh-so right! (I stumbled on to a Pentax K100 DS the same way...) That D50 led me right back into an old hobby and even that old Canon of mine has a roll of Fuji 800 because I wanted to try my hand at some night shots! Of course that isn't my only film camera these days but I digress...

I will have to second the D7100; I'm currently shopping for my upgrade, currently scheduled for mid-2014, LOL. I have also looked at the K-3, K-5 (models ii, iis too) and it was love at first sight just like my D50. I do love my Pentax; the ease of using older lenses is very appealing (not so with the D50, have to work at that) but the D7100 does much better, probably as good as Pentax. It's also way easier to get accessories and especially lenses; almost no one around here carries Pentax.

Plain and simple, I love both but the Nikon just makes better sense to me.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

Yes get the D610 i have the D600 and i think it is they best thing they ever made!

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes get the D610 i have the D600 and i think it is they best thing they ever made!

I'm loving my D7100, but if I ever buy another Nikon, it will be the D610 most likely. 

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By BonOlgirl in BonOlgirl's Blog, on 10 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Source: D5300 or D7100

Read Full Entry →