Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5300 or D7100

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

loltuna

loltuna

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I want to upgrade from my D3000 finally, but don't know which one i should upgrade to. Only these two are within my budget, please help

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Site Supporter

Hello loltuna  :)

I'm also wanting to upgrade from the D3000. I recently posted a very similar question. I have gotten a lot of suggestions and information from everyone here. I think I will be going with the D5300. I like the swiveling view screen!

Purrado

Purrado

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPhilippines

I'll be buying my first DSLR, and I'm leaning on getting the D5300. I think the vari-angle display is a must if you're interested in shooting video. Also, the wifi + gps capabilities are a plus!

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I recently upgraded from a D80 to D7100. The differences in technology and the speed of the functions is amazing. I would recommend the 7100.

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'll be buying my first DSLR, and I'm leaning on getting the D5300. I think the vari-angle display is a must if you're interested in shooting video. Also, the wifi + gps capabilities are a plus!

I agree Purrado! These are all pluses for me. Unless I get blown away by another model, it's going to be the 5300 for me. Haven't done much with video yet, but with the 5300, I think I will do a lot of video and love it!

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

I have the D5100 and more recently, the D7100.  I really love my D7100 and am thrilled by the upgrade from D5100.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag
If you want ultimate control and superior AF, get the D7100. If you want to shoot videos, are ok with one edial and menu diving; get the 5300.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Built in wi-fi would have me leaning towad the D5300. You won't get any better image quality from the D7100 and you can save $300 to put toward lenses.

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The more I hear about the D5300, the more I want it!

halabya

halabya

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I'd recommend D7100, but its also a bit more expensive

The more I hear about the D5300, the more I want it!

Actually ... the more I hear about the D5300 the more I want D7100, ... both are almost the same price and the d7100 is much much MUCH better :-)

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

In what way do you like the 7100 better?

crivera726

crivera726

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
I am also stuck on the same question

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

Umm guys it depends on how much you are happy to spend, In the end the D7100 is the last DX you would use before going into a FX camera, I have the D5100 and the amount of times I use the swivel screen, Zero.

I was recently looking at getting a D7100, from how I feel the D5300 is still a mid entry level DSLR, the D7100 is what a lot of pros use, if your not going to be using it for making money and just want something to snap with for personal use get either one you like the sound of, The swivel screen is a nice touch, and the Built in wifi is a professional feature that is slowly trickling its way down through to the lower levels. The next D7100 upgrade might have it but I don't work for Nikon so i wouldn't know, haha.

If I were you it would be a D7100 no count, but it seems I am in a similar situation and I am thinking Second hand D700 or D3.

What ever you get just make sure you use it and you will be happy.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I've just recently gone from a D3100 to the D7100. It's a fanstastic camera.

My father has the D5300 and to be honest, he hasnt used the flip out screen once and as for wifi...really would you want to upload your pics straight to the web without getting them stored on media first and having a tinker with them in PS or Lightroom. I know I wouldnt. You can always attached a cable to the 7100 or take the memory cards out. The 7100 also comes with 2 card slots, enabling you to shoot RAW on 1 and JPEG on the other or using the second slot as an overflow allowing you to take more pics and Video.

The price difference between the 5300 and 7100 isnt that much but you get a whole lot more for your money with the 7100.

Dont get me wrong, the 5300 is a fantastic camera, gives great pictures. But the 7100 will allow you to grow as a photographer and will outlast the 5300 in terms of growing with you as a photographer.

best to go to a retailer and have a play with both models and see whats best for you. Either camera will give you great pictures and a lot of fun.

Rob

Pentax Forums - The Ultimate Resource for Everything Pentax

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

yea i have to agree with Inyoni, on all those points.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

What Inyoni said. :)

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I use the flip out screen on my samsung NX20 a lot.  It's one of those features that you don't think you need until you use it a few times and then it becomes rather useful.  I've gotten a few shots I never would have otherwise if I didn't have the flip out screen.

BonOlgirl

BonOlgirl

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hmmmm.....did I say the more I learn about the 7100, the more I like it?!  :wacko:   :blink:   :huh:   :)  

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania
If you don't mind a little tongue-in-cheek review of why you should get D7100:

Outdoor Photographer just wrote a 6 page article on "what DSLR to choose for wildlife shots". 6 pages, rambling on and on. They should have just stopped at the Nikon D7100 and saved everyone 30 minutes of chewing through a laborious yawnfest that never comes out and says "This is the best one... get this".  Here, I'll do their job and break it down for you. Buy the D7100 and be joyous. Like high resolution landscapes? Fine. The D7100 shoots 24mp images without an AA filter which equals crisper and cleaner images than any of the competition. Like birds? Fine. 7 Frames a Second with a 51 point AF zone; 15 of those cross-type. Shooting in challenging light? Fine. One of the best ISO-Noise performances in the class and EV Metering down to -2 at f8. Like zoom? Fine. Enter into the 1.3x crop mode and your 70-200 f2.8 just became 140-400mm f2.8 that utilizes the sharpest areas of your lens' glass AND fills the frame edge to edge with those 51 glorious AF points. What's a 400mm f2.8 lens cost? Oh, that's right, the about the same as a new car... You can thank me later if you'd like but I just saved you a ton of cash in gear costs and saved you from reading an article that never bothers to spell it all out for you. But hey, I guess the writer has to make a paycheck too, right? http://www.outdoorph...r-wildlife.html

https://www.facebook...151661889727830

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

If you don't mind a little tongue-in-cheek review of why you should get D7100:

Now thats funny...........Brilliant....and so true.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By BonOlgirl in BonOlgirl's Blog, on 10 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Source: D5300 or D7100

Read Full Entry →