Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DSLRDashboard

remote apps

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

geordienz

geordienz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I can't believe I've come onto this forum only to discover that no-one has yet posted anything about the Android app DSLRDashboard! :)

It's an unbelievably useful app which will control your camera remotely (and even wirelessly if your camera uses Wu-1A or Wu-1B.

Some guys have even hacked it for cameras it's not meant to work with.

What's more, it's free!  Check it out on Google.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Welcome Geordie, will have a look at it.
I am an apple person and this appears to be an android application.

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I mentioned it three days ago!

I've got my phone mounted to the tripod, along with the red dot finder, waiting for the cloud to clear. Then off to my dark site for some astro.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

What cameras does it support? What exactly functions it gives?

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
I haven't got it working on the D40, but it works fine on the D80.

It gives Liveview on cameras that have it (my D80 doesn't ). Shutter, ISO and Aperture, Focus bracketing, Exposure bracketing, White Balance, Flash parameters, Metering parameters, Focus parameters, Sound activation, Prefocus, Wireless remote control from a second Android device, mirror up delayed shoot, Timelapse, GPS tagging.

Probably more things, I just haven't used them yet!

The interface is a bit clunky, but I'm working things out.

I will be using it for multiple exposures for astrophotography. I can set it up outside of the house, and control it from inside, where it's warm!

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

And what cable needs this programm?

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
You been an OTG cable to connect your phone to the camera.

I use an adaptor that plugs into the phone & gives me a USB socket. The standard Nikon cable plugs into this.

Under £2 on eBay

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you. I will try it. And what about you? Did anybody tryed it?

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
Mine is working fine, I just find it a bit "clunky" in the way it approaches things. I just need to see things from the programmers' viewpoint.

I still can't get it to review RAW files, so switch to RAW+JPEG and review the JPEGs.

I've used it for astro timelapse, once I worked out how to set it to do what I wanted, it worked well. I've also used it for shooting eBay items, very useful there, as i don't need to be near my PC for tethered shooting.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Hi Morticiaskeeper, if your feeling brave I have just got hold of the Samsung SDK Manager available free from www.developer.samsung.com . It's a new release whee you can download individual SDK packages depending on what your trying to create. I'm not sure if this will enable me to edit the code of an existing app to include newer features but when I get a chance I will have a look.

As far as the issues your having with the raw files viewed on your SIII I still think that this is because the raw files are so much bigger than the JPEG s the phone just can't handle the amount of data triying to be transmitted? :)

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Don't work with my samsung Galaxy S I9000, because of old version of android (from 4.0). Now I'm trying to update my phone.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Yes Stas, like most of the newer apps available you need to be on the latests version of firmware for thing like theses apps to work, I'm using a rooted version of Ice-Cream Sandwich on my SIII.