Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

macro extension tubes

d3400

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

brotell1950

brotell1950

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hi all my question to the wise

I have a d3400 and some macro extension tubes but when i attach the tubes then the lens all i get from the camera is that there is no lens attached.

What are my work arounds to use the extension tubes.

Thanks in anticipation

Terry

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

This description is just plain impossible, and welcome!

Whatever body, whatever lens combo is fitted with extension tubes,
since you are creating space between lens and body and since tu-
bes have no lenses, you will have greater macro magnification and

NO quality loss.

Something went wrong in your observation I guess sure of!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

When using extension with the D3xxx and D5xxx bodies, you need tubes with contacts that pass the signal from the chip in the lens to the body. If you use a lens with an aperture ring, it should be possible to set the aperture on the lens and the shutter speed and ISO manually to use the rings without the light meter in the body. You will have to guesstimate the exposure and check the histogram after each shot.

If you use an internally focusing (IF) lens with extension tubes, don't set the focus distance on the lens too close as that will degrade the image. If you use a unit-focusing lens or set the distance on the I lens to infinity, there will be no quality loss. If you use one of the CRC lenses, there will be loss if you go for max magnification, but it will probably not be noticeable.

brotell1950

brotell1950

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

i can see that i need to get extension tubes that have contacts that will allow the lens to operate (so the signal will go from the chip to the lens at the end of the tubes)

Ta 

Terry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3400