Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question about autofocus motor on a 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Rdstack

Rdstack

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Recently my 70-200mm f/2.8 E ED VRII suffered a failure of the autofocus system. I sent it off to APS in Chicago to be repaired. It came back this week and it seems to finction fine other than the fact that the autofocus motor is much louder than it was previously. It's not objectionable by any means but it's definitely louder. My main question, (and it may be a direct result of this increased noise level) is with the function of the motor. When I depress the shutter release halfway and the lens focuses... of course... the autofocus motor runs. If I continue to hold the shutter release halfway though... the motor just keeps running whether or not the lens is focusing. I'm just not sure if this is normal. Perhaps because the lens was so much quieter before I simply didn't notice. Anyway... just wondering if anyone can tell me if it is normal for the motor to keep running.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

It's not objectionable by any means…

Sorry… but it is!

Noise comes from friction, abrasion and will produce
particles and heat… in my book: unacceptable.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Are you sure that it's the AF motor? I havn't had a lens where the motor continues to run after focus is reached (unless in AF-C). Could it be the VR you are hearing?

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

(unless in AF-C)

…if the subject is moving!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I've seen lenses - not the 70-200 specifically - bounce between 2 focus spots (on AF-C) which can keep the motor running.  Switch to back button focus and separate the two and you shouldn't have the issue unless you are pressing the other button continuously...  

Rdstack

Rdstack

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Sorry… but it is!

Noise comes from friction, abrasion and will produce
particles and heat… in my book: unacceptable.

Thanks and I can't disagree with you. "Not objectional" was a poor choice of words. I was simply trying relay the fact that it was louder than it previously was not that it was acceptable. Thanks for the input.

Are you sure that it's the AF motor? I havn't had a lens where the motor continues to run after focus is reached (unless in AF-C). Could it be the VR you are hearing?

I spoke with someone yesterday that mentioned the same thing... could be the VR. I didn't have a chance last night but later today I'll turn the VR off and see. Either way... it's concerning and unfortunately I'll probably have to send it back in to the shop. Thanks!

I've seen lenses - not the 70-200 specifically - bounce between 2 focus spots (on AF-C) which can keep the motor running.  Switch to back button focus and separate the two and you shouldn't have the issue unless you are pressing the other button continuously...  

I tried focusing on a number of different subjects inside and outside of the house. Regardless of whether I was moving or not, the subject was moving or not, inside, outside... anything. The motor always ran as long as I had the shutter release pressed halfway. I'll take another look at the focus settings however and to see if I can narrow it down.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I have a lens that focuses quietly but makes a racket when the VR is on. Strangely, or perhaps not, it's more prominent on my D7000. It's not the 70-200 tho. 

--Ron

Rdstack

Rdstack

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a lens that focuses quietly but makes a racket when the VR is on. Strangely, or perhaps not, it's more prominent on my D7000. It's not the 70-200 tho. 

--Ron

Thanks Ron. Unfortunately at this point... I only have the one body to test it on. Even so... it's definitely not the same as it was before autofocus went out.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. It is indeed the VR system. I'm sending it back to APS.