Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon 14-24mm lens hood damage... is it a serious problem?

lens 14 20 f2.8

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Joehachach

Joehachach

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
I am finalizing a deal with a Nikon lens 14-24mm f2.8 second hand. Unfort, a small part of the tulip lens hood is damaged. Check the picture. Do you think it is a serious matter? This will affect the pictures?
Ps: the lens is working 100% fine

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Unfort, a small part of the tulip lens hood is damaged. Check the picture.

Sorry, can't see any picture

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Sorry, still no pic. How are you trying to post the photo?

Joehachach

Joehachach

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
I am trying to add an attachment but its not working.... this is my email address: hachachjoe@gmail.com maybe you can send me a message there and i can forward you the image?
Thanks in advance

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag

I am finalizing a deal with a Nikon lens 14-24mm f2.8 second hand. Unfort, a small part of the tulip lens hood is damaged. Check the picture. Do you think it is a serious matter? This will affect the pictures?
Ps: the lens is working 100% fine

To try to answer the initial question (without having seen a picture of the damaged hood):

Yes, in some (limited) cases (depending where the main light is) it may cause some stray light to hit the front of the lens lens, so having an impact on the resulting image. All depends on the importance of the damage.

However, it can possibly be easily fixed by having something covering the crack. Or you may just get a replacement hood.

If this is a way you want to go depends on the offer that you have for that lens (compared to buying it new).

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

When you are replying, click on "More Reply Options". Now click "Chose File". After selecting a file from your computer you need to click "Attach This File". You then should be able to see the photo in the posting area together with anything that you have written. When finished, click "Add Reply".

Joehachach

Joehachach

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Bengan/ Jerry,

Here it is.

Attached Thumbnails

• 31306541-5-IMG-1553258880426.5197751553258885000.jpeg
  • 31306541-5-IMG-1553258896305.5151371553258901000.jpeg
  • 31306541-5-IMG-1553258936486.3430181553258942000.jpeg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,637 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As the 14-24 is bad enough at finding stray light when undamaged, this damage will probably make it difficult to use in many conditions. How inexpensive is it compared to a new one?

An impact that was severe enough to break the plastic like that could have affected the dust seals between the chassis and the front barrel.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Indeed, this is an important damage with likely impact on pictures.

It looks like the lens having hit somethig hard and the hood having taken the choc. If so, other parts might be misaligned, even so not noticable at this moment.

If you had the broken part you could try to glue it for protecting for stray light.

However best being to replace the hood, which requires disassembling part of the lens. While bringing it to a Nikon service center for doing so, they might also check for potential other damage.

Therefore it is a matter of price difference compared to new, which should influence your decision to buy or not to buy.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Personally I would not buy this lens. It has obviously been subjected to serious impact and the hood with this much damage will have to be replaced.

Joehachach

Joehachach

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Many thanks guys. so helpful
cheers!

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

do not buy that lens. its what most people call baby lens. since if hood like that breaks you have major issue with lighting and other things.