Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Body recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

I got a D90 a couple of years back and it suits me in a lot of ways, but I could really do with AI / AI-S compatibility, which I should have thought of when I bought it. I just got a nice Vivitar Series 1 100-500 which really does need metering to avoid a lot of wasted shots, and my 8mm Yongnuo is also AI-S. I was thinking about getting both lenses chipped, but I can live without focus confirm, I'm reasonably good at doing it by eye, so I decided that a saner option would probably be a body with support for older lenses.

What I need, basically, is the same resolution as D90 (I really have no real use for anything higher), liveview (useful for photomicro etc.), and support for AI/AI-s, early motor-in-body AF, and AF-s.

What I don't need is higher resolution or video capability.

It looks like something like a D300 would suit my needs - any other suggestions?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You would be better off with a D300s. The signal processor is updated so it has a better S/N ratio than the D300 by nearly a full stop. It also has dual memory card slots, one CF and one SD. The D300 is CF only

Another option is the D7000. The resolution is a bit higher but it is slightly smaller and has less mass than the D300 as it is the same size as the D90.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

I liked the sensor on the D300  but found the D7000 a far more useful tool, from a wildlife perspective the buffer was too small for me.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

I think that the D300s and D7000 are both more expensive than I can really justify - both about £100 more than the D300 second hand - even assuming I get a good price for the D90. But many thanks for the suggestions, it's always possible something will turn up. I'm not in a huge hurry.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Well - looks like I got lucky, hopefully. Just bought a D7000 on line with 18-55 for £200. Fingers firmly crossed that it arrives intact and working properly, but the seller is a company I've bought from before and I know they're OK about returns.

If all goes well I'll be selling on my D90 in a couple of weeks.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Delivered by courier today, which is pretty good service, and working well. One snag - the 18-55 turns out to be an AF-P one, and is not supported by D7000! I'm assuming it's OK, but I have no way to test it, it won't even focus manually on anything as old as either of my bodies. Fortunately I have another 18-55 which I very rarely use, so it's no big deal. I've asked the vendor for either a replacement lens or a partial refund, we'll see what happens.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I converted my operations to digital when the D3X came on
the market. Then the D3S followed. I went directly from the
F4S to these… I did not go through a progression but straight
to the single digits so I do not know any of the previous models.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Nikon are actually pretty good about compatibility, or were until AF-P came along, but if you're looking at a lens it's always a good idea to check compatibility. I usually use this page:

https://www.kenrockw...bility-lens.htm

I disagree with a lot of what Ken Rockwell says about cameras etc., but this page is factual and I've never found any serious errors.