Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Swan Geese

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

From this website: https://www.beautyof.../swangoose.html

Swan Geese, also known as Chinese Geese, are rare, migratory geese that breed in inland Mongolia, northernmost China, and
southeastern Russia; and most migrate to central and eastern China for the winter. The large Swan Geese have also been introduced to countries outside their natural range, where feral populations of escaped or released domesticated birds have established themselves.

Swan Geese are large, measuring about 81–94 cm in length. They are the longest of all Anser geese). They typically weigh between
2.8–3.5 kg - making this species the second-heaviest Anser goose, second only to the Greylag Goose. The male's wings measures
between 45 - 46 cm and the female's 37.5 - 44 cm. The male's bill is about 87 - 98 mm long and the female's about 75 - 85 mm.

The domestic swan goose sometimes has a white patch behind the bill and typically has a large knob at the base of the bill, which lacks in the wild form.

These shots of some feral geese were taken at a lake in a local Texas park with my Nikon Coolpix P1000.

jishmRKh.jpg

NIKON COOLPIX P1000, 1/1600 seconds, F/5.00, ISO 100, Focal Length 89.90 mm, Focal Length 35mm Equivalent 500 mm

HPUGeXdh.jpg
NIKON COOLPIX P1000, 1/1000 seconds, F/5.00, ISO 100, Focal Length 66.50 mm, Focal Length 35mm Equivalent 370 mm

lWDJvUCh.jpg

NIKON COOLPIX P1000, 1/1000 seconds, F/5.60, ISO 100, Focal Length 167.00 mm, Focal Length 35mm Equivalent 930 mm

TXYSzadh.jpg

NIKON COOLPIX P1000, 1/500 seconds, F/5.00, ISO 100, Focal Length 71.90 mm, Focal Length 35mm Equivalent 400 mm

0CbSADFh.jpg

NIKON COOLPIX P1000, 1/1600 seconds, F/5.00, ISO 100, Focal Length 14.40 mm, Focal Length 35mm Equivalent 80 mm

Z2153xNh.jpg

NIKON COOLPIX P1000, 1/2000 seconds, F/4.00, ISO 100, Focal Length 30.50 mm, Focal Length 35mm Equivalent 170 mm

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I think there is an ID error here!

What I see are African Geese, not Asian Swan Geese. See…

Swan goose - Wikipedia

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

You may have a point. OTOH, according the website I linked in the OP (Swan Geese | Beauty of Birds):

"The Swan Geese (Anser cygnoides) -- also known as Chinese Geese - are rare, migratory geese that breed in inland Mongolia, northernmost China, and southeastern Russia; and most migrate to central and eastern China for the winter."

"The large Swan Geese have also been introduced to countries outside their natural range, where feral populations of escaped or released domesticated birds have established themselves."

"In the wild form, the heavy bill is completely black; and the legs and feet are orange; and the eyes (irises) are maroon-colored."

"The domestic swan goose sometimes has a white patch behind the bill and typically has a large knob at the base of the bill, which lacks in the wild form." (my emphasis)

This seems to correctly describe the critters in my images.

The link you've posted describes Chinese Geese (Swan goose - Wikipedia). This is a link to the African Goose: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_goose

JMO, but the images from all three websites seem to show the same geese and all describe a relationship between Swan, Chinese and African geese. It's all a bit confusing.