Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deep Down Inside, Am I Really An Automaton?

deep down inside really automaton

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Okay sports fans, yesterday  I decided to try something different. (thinking) was the first verb that came to mind. :(  

I started going back, waaaaayyyyyy back to when I was growing up at a time when everything became automatic, push button and remote control activated.

Then I thought, Hhhhhmmm my Nikon D200 has Auto ISO (Bingo), Auto White Balance (Bingo again) and Auto Exposure Compensation. Yup, you got it.

So why not set the D200 Mode to P and see what happens.  In my case it probably means "Pinhead", so I went around the neighborhood photographing some pretty trees, homes, automobiles and a few motorcycles.

I was not totally disappointed, however I was not exactly overly thrilled at the results.  The saving grace was that at least the images were salvageable in Post Photo Editing Software.  The problems I encountered were images that were slightly under exposed and slightly out of focus.  Things that make you go, Hmmmm!!

Yes, Matilda I did use my trusty tripod.  I wonder that given the age of the Nikon D200 and the fact that it is now right at 29,000 shutter actuations, perhaps the photo cells are deteriorating.  I also do not have any idea why the auto-focus was off as I did use the Auto-Focus Back Button.  (Remember, we are now in the New Age.)  Which brings up another subject, why was I given the all clear signal that the image was completely in focus (when it was not)  and the camera took the shot anyway.

By the way, the lens I was using is the Nikkor AF 55~200mm ED, G, VR and DX.

Thanks for reading.

Tony

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Sounds more like the camera needs cleaning. Mirror, AF sub-mirror, electrical contacts and perhaps focusing screen. Have you tried LV?

If you're shooting RAW a slight under exposure is easy to correct and if it's consistent you can even set exposure correction to begin with. Focus is more of a problem if you're relying on AF.

If the AF sensor gives the all OK the shutter will release even if AF is off and back-button focusing or not doesn't matter. Image sensor deterioration doesn't give these kind of effects

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

Are you sure your not expecting too much from older tech, i have auto ISO turned on all the time, often use manual but some times shutter priority,auto W/B (because things happen too fast where i shoot).

All these things have improved dramatically since my first DSLR a D70.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Have you tried the same lens on your other D200?

It might be time for a CLA with a note to the service center that the camera back- or frontfocuses.

The D200 was one of the best in its day, but that was many moons ago.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Thanks Peter.  Today I did get out in the neighborhood with the other D200 (the one that has 95,000 actuations, along with the AF Nikkor 55~200mm, VR, ED, DX lens.

I must say that the difference in IQ is really quite impressive.  Interesting to get much better IQ from the unit with the most clicks as opposed to the unit with fewer clicks.

Okay, well many thanks to all who contributed.  Truly greatly appreciated.

TT

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deep, down, inside, really, automaton