Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon P1000 what's wrong with my lens ?

poor image quality blurred shaking nikon p1000 vr

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Taipei101

Taipei101

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Good morning , Why this drastic difference in quality ? I have a Nikon P1000 , I took pics of the Cheetah with the factory settings and came out good ,later I might have customized some settings in the menu. So last week I took pics of this cardinal bird and all the pics were so poor , was VR off ? Was it misfiring? I was leaning on a solid fence ,no wind ,very steady. The light conditions were better than the cheetah (cloudy ,hand held without leaning on anything )what settings could have been wrong? Is the camera suddenly defective ?
Thanks for readingCheetah8.jpg Cardinal8.jpg

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Did you take more than one shot of the cardinal? If so, are all this out of focus? What are the basic EXIF data?

Since nothing really is focused, I would think that it's motion blurr. Perhaps the VR was off.

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii
With the Cheetah it’s the primary subject as it takes up a good portion of the frame, plus there’s nothing close to it and the background is a good distance behind it. The Cardinal on the other hand is in a busy environment with all the branches. Just taking a guess that the autofocus had picked one of the branches instead of the bird.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

I think you have camera shake in the bird image, when you take these images its best to have the camera on continuous and take a short burst, you will often find number 2 or 3 is sharper than the first one.

I put the image through shake reduction, ok not the answer but what i see is what makes me think thats the problem.

gallery_11672_725_94631.jpg

ABWay

ABWay

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Do you have a lens filter on? With a UV filter my P1000 failed to properly focus at 3000 mm, especially in low light. I now shoot with no lens filter and the focus is fine although difficult in low light. I have seen some reports of P1000 filter focus problems online.

Taipei101

Taipei101

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks ABWay , I do have a UV filter , so I'm gonna take it off and see the difference.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

There is a lack of critical focus in the cheetah shot and
I don't think the shooting parameters — nor the filter —
have anything to do with the movement blur in the se-
cond one. Just stabilise your posture at SR.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree it is likely camera shake but it is all speculation without the EXIF data to go by...What are the aperture, shutter and ISO on each of those shots?

Taipei101

Taipei101

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thank you all for shedding some light on this Nikon P1000 image quality issue, and sorry for not providing the exif info , I thought that you can readily extract the exif from the jpegs I attached .

So here are the exif infos of both the Cheetah and Cardinal pics.

The photos were consistent , all the 27 Cardinal pics have the same "blur\shake" or whatever it was , and all 4 of the Cheetah shot were clear.

I kind of gave up on the Nikon P1000 accepting that is a very low quality image camera depending on the "production lottery" , some come out better than others  and I got a bad 1 .

I'll use the Nikon P1000 very little and just for when I need the farthest reach and accepting that it's gonna be a low quality image.

I've been shooting animals with different cameras recently and I'm much happier with the quality.

The exif infos I attached were 1mb but the forum reduced them to 70kb , so if they are not readable I'll reupload them from a bigger size , let me know.

Enjoy the spring.

Attached Thumbnails

• Cheetah EXIF.jpg
  • Cardinal EXIF.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poor image quality, blurred, shaking, nikon p1000, vr