Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is my lense fx/Dx or DX only

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

novice

novice

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I've rather stupidly bought a lens off eBay (ok I thought it was the same lens as the one currently on the Nikon shop website.

The lens is having arrived is great, new looking and works a treat. But a question has arisen that I've been unable to answer and hope you can help.

Basically I would like to know if the lens is an Fx lens that I can also have set on Dx, so I can use either. Or is it a Dx only lens.

The lens is a AF-S NIKKOR 70-300 mm 1:4.5-.6 G.

Dx is not written on it anywhere.

If you can help, please do!

I did take the attached image of the moon, through a gap in the clouds, last night, so it works even with a 75% crop!

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

If DX isn't written on it, then it's FX.  Is it this lens?

AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 IF ED VR - Nikkor F-Mount Lenses - Nikon Lens Database - Lens Database - NikonForums.com

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The only AF-S 70-300 is the VR one that Adam linked to. It was made between August 2006 and July 2017. It is a very good lens that holds up well on modern sensors even though 12 MP DX was high resolution when it was introduced. It is FX

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

If it's a DX lens, it will say so on the barrel. FX lenses have no such designation.

I have a AF-S 70-300ED VR that works great on both my DX and FX cameras. In fact, it's a better match for my older DX camera than it is for my slightly newer FX camera.

As a general rule of thumb, you can use FX lenses on DX cameras out of the box. You can use DX lenses on some FX cameras but only in DX mode.

--Ron

novice

novice

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
If DX isn't written on it, then it's FX. Is it this lens?

AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 IF ED VR - Nikkor F-Mount Lenses - Nikon Lens Database - Lens Database - NikonForums.com

Hi Adam, yes that's it thanks for your help.

The only AF-S 70-300 is the VR one that Adam linked to. It was made between August 2006 and July 2017. It is a very good lens that holds up well on modern sensors even though 12 MP DX was high resolution when it was introduced. It is FX

Hi, thank you, all sorted now thanks!
Thank you!