Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D7500 / SB-700 Off Camera issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

gcdcpakmbs

gcdcpakmbs

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm trying to have the SB-700 flash off camera, and the built-in flash not flash.

Camera:

Photo Shooting Menu > Flash Control > Wireless Flash Options > Optical AWL

Photo Shooting Menu > Flash Control > Group Flash Options:

Built-in Flash - Mode is set to --

Group A         - Mode is set to TTL    Comp  to 0.0

Channel         - is set to 1

Flash:

Selector button is set to REMOTE

Group is A

Channel is 1

Camera:

Aperature Priority Mode, Manual Mode, Shutter Priority Mode (any of the 3)

Open the Flash

When I take a picture, both the remote and the Built-in Camera Flash.  I thought setting the Built-in Flash mode to -- would turn it off.

When I go to:  Photo Shooting Menu > Flash Control

Flash control mode (built-in) is highlighted in yellow and set to TTL (flash symbol)

Press OK and I get the following message:

"This option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state"

Not sure what setting on camera or flash that I'm missing, and curious what setting is behind the Flash Control on the camera.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Are you sure that the flash you see from the pop-up is a flash and not just the control beam? The master flash will go off at least once before the shutter opens just to send the command for the slave to flash for the metering. If you are shooting up close, the residual light from the control flash can become visible as the flash tube hasn't gone out yet when the shutter opens. This is what the SG-31R accessory is for. It blocks the visible light from the pop-up.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Or... you could invest in a relatively cheap radio trigger setup and leave the popup flash out of the equation.

--Ron

gcdcpakmbs

gcdcpakmbs

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

@Merco - I think you are correct.  I'm not certain because I reset all menus and then applied the above settings.  But I hadn't noticed the control beam going off before.  Thank you.

@Ron - I'm going to go that route.  Since reading your post, I've been looking at a Godox Xpro-N i-TTL.  Any other suggestions?  Thank you.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Havn't tried this with Nikon, but using Pentax this way it looks like the built-in flash is fireing. In fact it is only sending the control beam and will not affect the picture.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

@Ron - I'm going to go that route.  Since reading your post, I've been looking at a Godox Xpro-N i-TTL.  Any other suggestions?  Thank you.

I don't have any experience with the Godox stuff although I've heard good things about them. Also I use my iTTL triggers mainly in manual mode because I have a mixture of iTTL and TTL speedlights that don't play well together. From looking at the B&H page for the Godox kit... (you will need a 1 transmitter and receiver(s) for each of your flashes)... it looks like a pretty inexpensive setup. Actually cheaper than my Vello triggers which I managed to get on sale.

I usually use two off camera speedlights shooting through either octaboxes or translucent umbrellas. My main flash is set to manual 1/1 and my secondary flash is usually set to manual 1/2 (although this varies with the subject I'm photographing). My light stands are usually set at 30° from the centerline of my camera. If you go this route you'll probably have to fiddle a bit with exposures (unless you have a flash meter). In my work (orchid photography) I usually aim for 1/100sec @ f/16 with my ISO set to 100 (the lowest my cameras will go).

Good luck.

--Ron