Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What camera for street portraits?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Alnjpn

Alnjpn

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi all, I am looking for a camera and lens recommendations for street portraits. I have been using an old Pentax k3 with a 50mm lens but the focus is not very accurate. I like the 40mm to 80mm for for street portraits. I also like bokeh.

I was thinking of a second hand d610 with a 50mm prime. Are there any better options? I have around 700dollars to spend.

Thanks

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,631 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As your main interest is street, why go for a DSLR at all? Why not use a ยต4/3 body with the Olympus 17/1.8 as a starter lens?

Nikon's AF 50-s aren't that exciting, with the exception of the 58/1.4. That lens is heavy, conspicuous and expensive, though. I often use an FX body with the 35/1.8 for street, but it would be easier to not stand out with a Pen F or OM-D and three lenses, preferably the Zuiko 12/2, Zuiko 17/1.8 and the Summilux 25/1.4.

TheGlobalCitizen

TheGlobalCitizen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado

I agree with Merco_61 on this;  Micro 4/3 is much more discreet and offers good images