Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upgrading to DX (D90 to D610)

fx dx d610 d90 d7100

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Kenta120

Kenta120

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Recently my loved D90 was stolen , which of course is a big shock for me.

Now I am thinking to buy to the full frame D610 (or D600).

But this is a huge investment and I am not sure if I should instead go with the D7100.

I am only a hobby photographer, but I really enjoy landscape, travel and HDR photography.

Occasionally I also like to do portrait, but thats not really my favorite part.

I currently have no lenses, since my only lens was stolen with the camera.

Can you give me some pro and cons for going DX or staying FX.

(Accept the obvious Pricing and picture quality of course.)

Would be a great for my buying decision.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Well, this seems to be a favorite topic on this Forum at the moment. I can only answer from my own experience having just moved up from a d3100 to a d7100.

The price difference will always factor in this as the money you save going for the D7100 will allow you to purchase 1 or 2 decent lenses.

Image Sensor size is larger on the D600 & D610. Giving a larger image size, similar to that on old Film cameras.

If you are able to compair the 2 cameras in a retail shop then it might be an idea to go and have a play and see what one you like best.

If you are on a budget then I would suggest going for the D7100 and get a couple of good lenses.

I'm sure you will get more comments regarding this.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

For the price you can get a refurbished D600, it makes sense to go full frame.  If yours is one of the unlucky dust monsters, it's pretty easy to clean a sensor.  However, In many ways the D7100 is a more capable camera.  It's lighter, smaller, has better AF, superior cropping for telephoto shots and a 1/8000 shutter.  If you don't shoot wide angle, it might make sense to get the D7100.  The D600 will give you slightly improved IQ, especially at higher ISO, but it also allows you to use less extreme lens designs, and a thinner DOF.  An expensive 1.2 lens really isn't necessary on a modern FF DSLR.  You can easily go with the much cheaper 1.8 version, as an example.  You'll maintain the same DOF as the equivalent lens.  Also, making a FAST wide lens is more difficult, even on APSC.  You see a lot of 16/2.8s on APS-C, there is even a 16/2.0(though it's huge), but it's relatively easy to get a 24/2.0 or even a 24/1.4 in FF.  There is no true equivalent in APS-C.  Just think about what you shoot.  If you shoot wide and low light, full frame is a good choice.  If you shoot long and in good light, the D7100 is a good choice. Lenses are more important than your body, however, you only had the one before.  Think about what focal lengths you want to shoot first.  

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

If you like the D90, you could always get another either used or refurbished...I'd probably go for the upgrade myself, but just tossing out another option...

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

If you like the D90, you could always get another either used or refurbished...I'd probably go for the upgrade myself, but just tossing out another option...

Oh that would be no fun at all!  :P

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Oh that would be no fun at all!  :P

Can't argue with that :) but it would be cheaper :( and that might mean more glass :D

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

You should know that with fx camera You should buy fx lens or work with dx lens in dx mode. As for me I really want fx camera, I understand that I don't really need it but I want it so much! I think fx or dx should be your choise based on your photographic aims and your budget.

wedgtail

wedgtail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdealaide

Just when you think your in the market for a new camera there's an old saying in racing if you have 2000.00 that's how fast you will go if you have 50000.00 you will go faster for a longer time . It realy gets down to budget camera body's come and go but good glass lasts forever  B)

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I upgrade to a D7100 last month and the reason I was reluctant to consider the D610 was reviews that I read which talked about a problem with the camera involving oil (think this issue was mainly with D600, but some reviews suggested that the same problem could exist with the D610). Since belonging to this group, I have not heard anyone mention a problem with the D600 or D610.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

I upgrade to a D7100 last month and the reason I was reluctant to consider the D610 was reviews that I read which talked about a problem with the camera involving oil (think this issue was mainly with D600, but some reviews suggested that the same problem could exist with the D610). Since belonging to this group, I have not heard anyone mention a problem with the D600 or D610.

Lens rentals claims there is no such issue on the D610.  I can't imagine Nikon would let that happen again.  The D600 incident probably cost them several million dollars.  The loss of credibility is incalculable.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Lens rentals claims there is no such issue on the D610.  I can't imagine Nikon would let that happen again.  The D600 incident probably cost them several million dollars.  The loss of credibility is incalculable.

What exactly was the issue and did Nikon ever admit there was a problem? How about the folk on this forum who have D600's, have they experienced problems?

Jay

Jay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag

Always keep in mind your intentions.  FX lenses cost alot more money on average.  Have a good look at FX photos and compare them to DX photos.  You'll be surprised the difference is subtle and almost impossible to tell in many cases.  The bigger sensor in FX camera will alow for better ISO control for low light and produce crisper images.  With all the new amazing lenses guys like Sigma are offering for DX right now, I'm not sure I'm ready to make the switch to FX.  I suggest go rent the cameras and see for yourself.  The D7100 offers many of the features and sometimes more then the 610 persay.  The main difference is the sensor size.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

What exactly was the issue and did Nikon ever admit there was a problem? How about the folk on this forum who have D600's, have they experienced problems?

The problem was dust and oil from the shutter assembly. It goes away eventually, but your sensor may need to be cleaned several times.

Nikon wouldn't admit to it for a long time. In the end they only said it happened on a few cameras and they would clean them under warranty. I believe you had to pay shipping one way.

A poll on nikon rumors showed about half of the respondents reported the issue. I haven't seen it yet on mine. The low low price, due to the issue, made it worth the risk to me. I can clean the sensor myself. It is not difficult. But I believe it voids the warranty.

Instead of making good, Nikon released a new version of the camera to fix what they didn't really admit was a problem.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

Hey Man, I will give you my experience seeming though I JUST got a D600 and literally a few days after found somebody selling a D3 so have one of them now, (and I know guys I have been absent recently sorry that was exams).

You have to think about price first and foremost, that will decide what you get you can't buy something you can't afford.

second think about what lens you want to put on it, if you want a wide angle for the landscape think about what lens you will need and if it is FX or DX.

I know it is hard but if i were you i would get the D600, it is a beautiful camera no issues so far with it i love it heaps, it has brilliant U1 and U2 settings, and its already a Full Frame camera! so that will remover and "Feelings" you may have in the future to upgrade.

What the major issue as well with the D600 was really was word of mouth, i hear ALOT of people on the internet saying they have this issue, but everyone i know or talk to doesn't, (i work in a camera store).

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey Man, I will give you my experience seeming though I JUST got a D600 and literally a few days after found somebody selling a D3 so have one of them now, (and I know guys I have been absent recently sorry that was exams).

You have to think about price first and foremost, that will decide what you get you can't buy something you can't afford.
second think about what lens you want to put on it, if you want a wide angle for the landscape think about what lens you will need and if it is FX or DX.

I know it is hard but if i were you i would get the D600, it is a beautiful camera no issues so far with it i love it heaps, it has brilliant U1 and U2 settings, and its already a Full Frame camera! so that will remover and "Feelings" you may have in the future to upgrade.

What the major issue as well with the D600 was really was word of mouth, i hear ALOT of people on the internet saying they have this issue, but everyone i know or talk to doesn't, (i work in a camera store).

I have talked to people who have had the issue. Not everyone knows what to look for. If it wasn't a problem, there would be no D610. Nikon could have made all the complainers happy by fixing their cameras and all future copies. Canon made good on the 5d3, Pentax made good on the K5. Nikon wasn't willing to. They just released a d610 because we needed the .5 boost in FPS...right. Still, cleaning the sensor is a minor annoyance. I was happy to buy the d600 at the slashed price. I knew what I was getting in to.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I bought the D600 and it's the best choice I made. I was tossing up between the D7000 or forking out the extra for the D600. I decided I would go with the FF because I felt it would grow with me more as my photography improved. It really can do some amazing things once you start to learn how to use it. I had the oil issue and had it cleaned once. Also due to another issue I had the shutter replaced anyway so that problem no longer exists for me.

Saying that I ended up buying a refurbished D7000 as a back up camera anyway lol. Good luck with your decision.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have two D600s and haven't had any issues...I expect with the number of frames I shoot, I would have seen the problem by now if I was going to have the problem...that said, I'm sure it was an issue with some D600s...just glad they weren't mine :P

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

Also the D600 Like Ken Rockwell says is practically a D800 Just smaller and better, I understand where he is coming from, any camera with that size Mega Pixels is more then enough.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

I have two D600s and haven't had any issues...I expect with the number of frames I shoot, I would have seen the problem by now if I was going to have the problem...that said, I'm sure it was an issue with some D600s...just glad they weren't mine :P

Do you use them for sport shooting? If so, any trouble with the AF not being able to keep up?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I do use my D600s for sports.  I can't say I haven't been bitten once or twice, but in general, any focus problems are more related to me (or the subject) than the speed of focusing.  To better explain, the biggest issues are ususally moving between two different subjects at different distance away - batter to fielder making a play or similar.  Focusing has also improved as I've learned the camera and had the chance to try a few different settings to see how things work out.  I still have a couple of things I want to try and while I'm trying things, I'm learning too so I expect to get better results.  My D600s focus faster than my D7000s or D90s that I've had.  I eventually want to move to D4s (or whatever is current when I can) but that might be awhile.  All that said, when you shoot sports, you are not going to get a high percentage of shots that are perfect for publication.  Back in college, the "rule" was that we were happy with two or more usable (for publication) photos per roll.  We rolled our own Tri-X so that was two out of about 40 shots or 5% of game photos. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fx, dx, d610, d90, d7100