Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FLASH!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Jack NP

Jack NP

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorwich

I have been doing Sports Photography for a good while now but I am very reluctant to use flash. It has always been a last resort (rarely used) usually opting for high ISO! The World Cycling Championships are in Yorkshire this year and I intend to up my game by the time they get here and have as many options available to me!

My question is, what are peoples views on using flash during sport?

Also, doing Time Trials on a dual carriageway when there are unsuspecting motorists alongside/near  the cyclists, surely that is unfair?

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

I don't even own a flash except the built in popup that I rarely use.  It leaves a lens shadow in the image since I use a 16-300 it protrudes out a bit. I opt for high ISO when needed as well.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What would you use a flash for? How often can you be close enough that the flash makes any difference without distracting the athletes? High ISO is your friend.

What do you mean in the last sentence? Testing at club level or small meets are not run on closed roads as it is impossible to get permission to close the road.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I would suggest not using a flash at a cycling as it distracts the competitors. Do as Peter suggest, up the iso.

Jack NP

Jack NP

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorwich

Wide angle from down low with the sun from behind.  as an example, also if it was a particularly overcast day and I wanted a shot with a big depth of field. I do personally prefer a higher ISO but sometimes it just doesn't produce the image I would like.

As a cyclist and Time Trialler myself I am all to aware that the roads can't be closed, especially with the amount of time trials that happen in my part of the world. Road Races at club level have a certain amount of closure, much the same as a 'Pro' race.

What I meant is that when doing a time trial, to a degree, the cyclists will know at least one person will be taking photos, so are almost ready for it but passing motorists won't realize there could potentially be flashes. Therefore, startling them.

I think for now I will hone my skills with higher ISO

What would you use a flash for? How often can you be close enough that the flash makes any difference without distracting the athletes? High ISO is your friend.

What do you mean in the last sentence? Testing at club level or small meets are not run on closed roads as it is impossible to get permission to close the road.