Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D500 issue in a new application

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

xraydrumr

xraydrumr

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
I was doing some astrophotography this past evening on a Meade 4.5" 'scope, sorting out new lenses and filters ( telescope adapter lenses, NOT Nikkors ). In attempting to shoot an almost full moon for the first time with this setup, discovered an issue with shutter speed - trying to shoot a little faster to stop the moon's motion at high magnification - and the WR-R10 Wireless Remote. Specifically, in Manual mode, with the Wireless Remote enabled, Shutter Speed is limited to 1/250 or slower, no faster. As soon as the remote receiver is removed from the 10 pin connector, shutter functionality returns to normal. Has anyone else had this experience in this or other applications? And better yet, a solution.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Have you tried using a simple MC-30 or MC-30A? Could the WR-R10 be tricking the camera to believe there is a flash attached? I don't know if that is the case, but it is a possibility.

xraydrumr

xraydrumr

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for your thought Peter. I am not sure that this would be an answer given that both the wireless and wired remote triggers tie into the same 10 pin connector and perform the identical functions otherwise, as best that I can determine. There is a hot shoe for flash attachment on the D500, so this shouldn't be relevant to a flash, nor is there any flash feedback function

in the WR-R10.

I am not certain I want to spend the $65 or so for the MC-30A after having already spent $200 for the wireless capability without doing some further investigation. Right now it's a conundrum.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The WR-R10 can also be used to control up to 18 SB-5000 speedlights. The early units with firmware versions 1 and 2 were simple remotes, firmware 3 enabled the flash master functions for the D5, D500 and D850.

I have read somewhere that you can attach the WR-R10, go into the Shooting menu, Flash Control and set the mode to off. This should enable the shorter shutter speeds with the WR-R10 attached. As I don't have one, I can't try this.

xraydrumr

xraydrumr

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Thank you Peter! Turning off the Flash Control was the solution.
I had read about a camera slaving capability, but missed anything
about multiple Speedlights. Thanks again. Kudos!