Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

newbie question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

kwick-kwack

kwick-kwack

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone. I am new to nikon cameras and have just bought a D50. Is it normal that the shutter won't fire without an sd card installed, it focuses ok and the flash pops up and the red eye light lights up

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I used to have a D60 years ago, and I can't remember whether it would fire without the card or not. I think I vaguely remember it would indeed fire but with warning that there was no card. I've never owned a D50, but it might be similar. However, I'm a bit curious as to why you need it to fire without a card? 

kwick-kwack

kwick-kwack

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Just to find out if it works ok. As I said earlier it does everything except fire the shutter

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Didn't that generation have a menu setting to enable blind firing for demonstration purposes? It might be worth your time to study the manual.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

It might be worth your time to study the manual.

The RFM strategy, specially if it is a new camera to you, is
most important. If you don't have the original manual, you
can download it for free hereā€¦

Nikon | Download center | D50

Have a good time!

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Peter is correct.  I had a D90 and it would, or would not, fire with out a memory card.  You can change this in the settings menu.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I would third those recommendations to consult the manual if that's a learning style that works for you (not everyone learns easily by reading a dry manual), but if you have an SD card, why not slip it in and find out if it works? You'll need an SD card for any entry level DSLR camera anyway, so if you don't have one it would be a good thing to acquire.

kwick-kwack

kwick-kwack

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

thanks for all the info and have now got it working but really struggled finding a card that would work as all the cards i had were SDHC cards and camera wouldnt recognise them but found a mate who had an old 2GB SD card and that did work