Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Headlines that don't reveal the headline

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I simply refuse to click on any news link or headline on a website that doesn't reveal the whole story up front.  I've had enough of those "you won't believe what drove this actor over the edge" or "click here to see the unusual thing this athlete does in their spare time".  It usually ends up being something very lame and just a ploy to get you to click more and more within their site and see more ads.  

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

K-9 I totally agree with you. I went absolutely loony ... or maybe came to my senses?.... about 2 months ago and basically canceled our cable TV because of the CRAP I was being fed. 15 minutes of a show then 10 minutes of commercials telling me I was sick and then selling me drugs that sound worse than the disease they treat. Smiling thieves telling me I wasn't good enough unless I used a particular product. An endless stream of lies and stabs and companies using psychological warfare to gain access to my bank account. And I was PAYING them to do this to me. Turning off cable TV saved me $150/month... almost $2000/year! This outrage has spill on over to my net surfing habits as well. I rigorously block adds and even stop going to some website entirely because all they are is ad revenue machines. 

I honestly think we have driven ourselves insane with the invisible carrots major media dangles in our faces every moment of every day.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Yes, and I have found that when I channel surf on cable lately, 75% of channels seem to be on a commercial. Most movie channels, aside from the pay networks, even have tons of commercials. IFC and AMC used to have uninterrupted movies, but not anymore. I usually watch Netflix, a dvd, or On Demand tv shows where I can fast forward commercials (although, they are starting to disable the FF option).

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Netflix has changed TV for me, commercials are basically unbearable now.  If only Netflix Canada had the choice of the US version!

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Netflix, Chromecast and the Roku Box are our weapons of choice.

Chromecast is neat because you can watch YouTube on your TV ... and we all know Youtube has just about everything you'd want... from TV shows to full movies ;) Best part is the Chromecast dongle is only $35!

Roku is worth owning because you can pick from 100's of streaming channels (some worthwhile, most, not so much) AND stream from your home PC, Smartphone or even a USB stick.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Netflix has changed TV for me, commercials are basically unbearable now.  If only Netflix Canada had the choice of the US version!

DVR's have saved the wife and I from advertisement hell. We record a show, thn play it back later and blast past the commercials.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Thanks, Afterimage! I hadn't ever heard of Chromecast or Roku Box...checking them out.  (We do Netflix too--and Amazon Prime instant watch.)

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

That's how I watch Netflix, through Roku. I have one Roku on each level of my home.