Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Questions about a lens setup.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

jennkaotic

jennkaotic

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

So I have been looking for a new camera and am looking to go full frame. I am thinking about the either the D750 or D850 but I haven't had a full frame before so I am a little intimidated by the number of lenses available. I have had Micro 4/3s systems in the past so I generally know the cost and quality of that line up but no nothing about the Nikon full frame lenses. Are they going to be significantly more expensive?  

I have been shooting a lot of long exposure night photography. I also have a weird obsession with flowers... I haven't seen a flower I didn't photograph (but I am not initially going to invest in Macro lenses). I do a lot of general walk about photography and some landscapes. I have 5 dogs so I need some reach and speed for them. I am going to Costa Rica in May so will likely rent a quality Telephoto. I guess what I need is a good all around body. I don't need super sports performance unless you consider two pug puppies "sports". 

What would I be looking at for a good starter lens set? Would the D850 require more expensive lenses? The D850 seems some features that might work better for night photography... Light up buttons! I personally think I can do just fine with the D750 but my husband wants me to get a "no compromise" set up (That is why he is a keeper LOL). 

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

If your budget is already covered by your husband, I would go for the D850. A good camera benefits from good glass, but I don't think that the D850 requires better lenses than the D750.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

"No compromise", he said?

Ok, go for the D750 with a grip as it won't force you to upgrade the
computer end of your investments. It is a very capable camera — I
recommend it to all my students.

The "
no compromise" bit should go towards the lenses.

jennkaotic

jennkaotic

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

"No compromise", he said?

Ok, go for the D750 with a grip as it won't force you to upgrade the
computer end of your investments. It is a very capable camera — I
recommend it to all my students.

The "
no compromise" bit should go towards the lenses.

That is good thought... I hadn't thought about processing power for the higher res. My current workflow goes through my Ipad. I import there use the Lightroom mobile for sorting and quick editing then upload to the cloud and pick up on the PC. I don't how my IPAD PRO 2 is gonna feel about the higher res... my current camera is 18 megapixel and it handles them great but jeesh 48 might bog it down. I don't have too many concerns from there my laptop can handle the rest. It's definitely capable. 

Yep I agree about good glass. I feel kinda lost with all the choices available for the Full Frames. Like in MFT set up it's easy... go get the Panny Leicas and you are done! Now there is a lot to choose from. If there were one starter lens someone should get what would you recommend?

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

If there were one starter lens someone should get what would you recommend?

One lens… that would be the 24~70 ƒ2.8.